x

Feature Request: Support selecting the same modifier more than once

Feature Request: Support selecting the same modifier more than once

The title of this post has been edited from the original: Can I select the same modifier more than once?

Is there a way to select 1 modifier twice? For example, I have an item named '3 TACOS', once the item has been selected on the app, the cashier can choose the meats as modifiers: steak, fish, tofu, etc. However, sometimes guests want 2 steak and 1 fish for example. How can I make this happen?

79 Comments
Beta Member

yea, this one is a pain in the bum. When I did my 'Family of 4 meal' package, I had to consider the family might not all want 4 cokes. So I had to create the modifier to list all the possible variations - so example, 4 cokes - 4 pepsi - 4 water -  1 coke, 2 pepsi, 1 water etc.

Please work on this feature. We are needing it set up as our menu offers a pick 2, pick 3, and pick 4 from a selection of our tacos. The customer feedback we get is that it is a pain to write down which ones they want. It's also a nightmare to deal with in the kitchen as our cooks are having to constantly re-read the notes that aren't always worded clearly from our customers. We also offer a discount when using the 3 and 4 options which are not available when checking out online. 

Beta Member

Yea agree TT - this feature appears on majority of food ordering sites, so you think it would be a standard feature on square. Would save a huge amount of time on set up and easier for the customer.

Alumni

@BuenasBurritos - I totally agree and have seen this functionality on other POS systems. Hopefully we can catch up to them in the near future. 

Super Seller Alumni

I too will follow the request line here. Having the ability to have very dynamic modifiers are huge for restaurants. For instance, lets say our restaurant uses Weebly for online ordering and Delivery. Well our customers place orders for meals in the normal fashion that most of us do: 

Sandwich

Side 1

Side 2

Other customizations

This works okay in some cases, but in many cases, as mentioned above, it's quite problematic. Something that hasn't been mentioned here is selling out of inventory. For example, because my customers can often pick multiple side options, at various different sizes (regular, large, etc (these come with price differences of course) <- which is a problem in itself, creating entire new modifiers for these each price difference) I have to create duplicate groups of modifiers over and over again. As stated before, I sell online with online ordering. So if I ever happen to run out of a side, I have to manually go into each side modifier group and change each one. This is super problematic. 

I hope we can fix this issue soon. Please inform me of any updates. 

Just wanted to weigh and note that I would LOVE for the multiple modifier item to be made available. I set up an item of plant kits for my customers and just realized that they can only select one of each plant, which is not helpful since most people like to have a few of each species. At this point, I don't think I can offer the kit 'as is'. Can we get this moving square? 

I’m liking the square system but have stumbled at the first instance. Setup of a meal deal where the customer can choose 3 items. The customer can choose 3 identical items, although the system only allows one to be selected of the same type ... help! This is rather basic in deliveroo etc 

Admin

Hi @JOE666, welcome to the Seller Community! 

From your post, it sounds like you are looking to set it up so customers can select multiple of the same modifier, is that correct? 

While this feature is not available with Square at the moment, there are some workarounds that we can try in the meantime. Before we dive in, can you let me know if you are looking to set this up on your Square Point of Sale app or your Square Online site? That way, I can look into a workaround that would work best with your system. 

Point of sale app please 

Admin

Thanks for letting me know, @JOE666!

So if you're taking the orders through the app on an iPad, there's actually a feature called Conversational modifiers that's available with the free Square for Restaurant app. Conversational modifiers will include buttons like 'add', 'extra', side' and more to allow you to select additional modifier quantities. You can find out more about Square for Restaurant Free here

Alternatively, with the standard Square Point of Sale, what you can do is duplicate the modifier. So you'll get for example Side option 1, Side option 2 etc. with the same modifiers/options. You can apply all of these to the same items. This way, customers will also be able to select more than one of the same sides/modifiers.

I hope this will help!