x

Mag strip reader won't read cards. I reinstalled the app only fixed temp. Now it's doing it again.

I recently contacted square about a problem with the swiped cards not being read.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the app and that fixed the problem.
I've now had to do that repeatedly and it only sometimes fixes the problem temporarily.  I keep having to manually enter cards which costs me more in fees.  What is the problem? I've been with Square for years with no problems.  I am using the same phone (android samsung 5) that was working just fine for quite some time.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

I just opened business yesterday and am having same issue. I reinstalled and didn't work for me. Do I need to do it several times to get it to work. This is bad timing for me. 

Message 2 of 10
Alumni

@kstoverlmt - I'm sorry that the Magstripe reader isn't working for you consistently. That is definitely not the type of experience we want you to have. Since you have been with Square for some time, maybe you need a replacement reader. You can re-order from the Square Shop - they should arrive in around 10 days by USPS. You can also buy one from a store for $10 and we'll credit your account $10. Find a store using our store locator.

@BilliJo - welcome to Square. I'm sorry that you've had trouble using the Magstripe reader so far. Have you made sure that you are using a supported device? I also recommend checking out the troubleshooting steps for the Magstripe reader.

Please let me know if either of you need more help. 

Message 3 of 10

I am experiencing the same problems in using the swipe function. I bought a brand new magstrip reader just the other day, so it's not an issue of the device being too old. I'm using it with a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, which I know is compatible.

I will try uninstalling and reinstalling the app, but as far as first impressions go, color me unimpressed with Square.

Message 4 of 10

Update: Nevermind, I restarted my phone and it swiped this time. Will see how it goes in the future - hopefully the last of the issues!

Message 5 of 10
Alumni

Sweet! Glad it all worked out for you, @LLaurie. Definitely let us know if you run into any further issues or you can also talk to our Support team directly for a faster reply.

If you want to get in touch with the Support team via phone, you can reach them at 1 (855) 700-6000 on Monday - Friday from 6am - 6pm PST. Please note that you'll need to have a Customer Code to get through to them.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 6 of 10

In addition to the suggestion by the Square rep that the reader you're using may be wearing out, I'd like to suggest that your phone software may be too old to fully support the most recent version of the Square app.

It's a sad fact of our high-tech world that continuous updating is necessary to maintain security. And all phones and tablets eventually fall behind in operating system updates, and eventually fall out of support entirely.

If a new magstripe reader doesn't do the trick for you, consider it may be time to use a newer phone or tablet.

Message 7 of 10

My phone is 7 plus and updated. I've deleted and reinstalled app. I've shut phone down. I checked for lint or dirt. I just can't get it to read a card

Message 8 of 10

I am having a similar problem.  The reader has worked on my current phone for years.  The app acknowledges that the reader is plugged in, but will not allow a swipe to process payment.  I have 2 new readers and that has not helped.  Phone is an Iphone6.  Both app and IOS are up to date.  

Did you find a fix?

Message 9 of 10
Square Community Moderator

Hey @ctpottery

Have you tried any troubleshooting yet?

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the app to see if that helps. 

Here's some troubleshooting tips that you can try: 

Square Magstripe Reader Troubleshooting

Message 10 of 10