x

Magstripe Reader why doesnt it ever work?

Ok, so I've used this thing a hundred times at another company on an iPad. Yet it doesn't want to work with my phone. App works fine I can manually input the card and payment goes right through, yet if I try swiping it never works.... same problem with clover go... idk why...

Virgin mobile Optimus V elite

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Square Community Moderator

Hi there!

Were you getting any error messaging? Have you tried removing your phone case if you have one on your smartphone? 

Check this thread out, as it has some troubleshooting steps that might help. 

Message 2 of 5

My swipe function never works so I severely limit its use.  I think it is a way for this company to generate extra income because of the increased charges because of the manual credit card entries.  It is a rip-off and therefore I use PayPal.

Message 3 of 5
Super Seller

If your card reader never works, either it is broken, or not compatible with your phone, or your phone case is blocking it from clicking in all the way (this is the number one problem I've encountered when helping other vendors).  We literally swiped over 10,000 cards last year on 7 different devices and only had to manually enter a card five times, and that was the worn out cards fault not the reader.  

Message 4 of 5

mine never works either and i just found out that they take away a higher percentage when you manually type them in?? But the square reader can't do it's one sole job L.O.L

Message 5 of 5