x
Beta Member

Multiple Issues: New Square Register

Just purchased two of the new Square Register systems and although it looks lovely out of the box There are a few things currently letting it down.

1. probably the most unforgivable is that you can’t actually connect another Square card reader to the device!

I can connect a set of scales or a cash drawer but this was purchased to be used in brewery taproom and sometimes we need to take card payments at the table. We could do this with the free basic version and an iPad so why not on register? This is crazy!

2. The software seems to have been paired back so there are some frustrating omissions not least of which is when I am editing the checkout display and want to add a product I can’t simply search for a product but have to scroll through the hundreds of products we offer to find it. This makes adding and editing the display a proper chore.

2.1 whilst editing you also can’t drag and drop the products from one product page to another which IS again possible in the FREE iPad version.

These are the initial issues after just using the device for a couple of hours. The fact that other Square readers can’t be used is for me outrageous. I can’t see why this feature would be any different to other versions of the platform especially on a dedicated device. I can have multiple card readers attached to my iPad version so why not the register?

Message 1 of 5
Report Inappropriate Content
4 REPLIES 4
Admin

Hi @StaggeringBeer, thank you for sharing these feedbacks! The Square Register is a relatively new product for the UK market and our team are always looking for suggestions to improve it, so I will be sure to surface these with the team as well. 

In regards to connect other Square hardware to the Square Register, you can use the open ticket feature as a workaround. With open ticket, any ticket/order created on other devices (like the iPad for example) will open on the Register, and any ticket/order created on the Register will be accessible on other devices as well. 

While the Square Register is a great piece of kit for some businesses, it may not suit others. There is a 30-day return policy on all our hardware, so you can always return the Register and look for a different hardware that may be more suitable to what you need for your business, like the Terminal or Square Stand

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 2 of 5
Super Seller

1.You can't connect two readers to any device. The Register is no different, with the customer display & reader either docked to on a cable it's not a mobile device. 

2. The Square hardware is based on Android, so there will be some differences. This isn't a 'paired back' version just the Android based stuff. 

2.1 Same as 2, if you've come from iOS then things are gonna be a little different. The Register is hardware, so it's not different paid for software etc. (That said the team have brought things to the Register that aren't available on standard Android devices like the Restaurant option). 

If having tested it out you feel it's not for you, then you can return it within 30 days without any issues. I can't see any of the bits you've mentioned as bugs or it not working as designed. 

Pizza Is Chill

Message 3 of 5
Beta Member

Thanks for the feedback. Whilst I appreciate the comments saying it’s an android device so expect differences, I really don’t see this as a reasonable argument for a premium dedicated piece of hardware that should be fully featured up to the standard of existing models from the offset. Like I say having used the device for a very short time these issues came up so it wouldn’t take a great deal of QC to investigate and patch.

However now having used the systems a little longer it seems the registers also appear to be unstable and the software regularly crashes or sticks on pages so you have to reset it. Not ideal in a busy workplace.

Regarding the card reader, the issue here is really that it CAN’T connect to a mobile card reader which I find strange to say the least. Offering that level of flexibility to users on existing proprietary hardware seems obvious. Perhaps I’m wrong on that but it’s surprising.

yes I could just get my money back but I’d have thought feedback from customers is fairly important and these issues (other than the software crashing) are already solved on other platforms so I can’t see why they wouldn’t be rolled out on newly released dedicated hardware that has clearly had a lot of time and money put into its development.

Message 4 of 5
Admin

Sorry to hear the Register is crashing regularly for you @StaggeringBeer! This sounds like it could be a bug. When you have time, can you try running through these troubleshooting steps for the Register? If that doesn't help, please contact our Support team directly. They will be able to help investigate this further and get diagnostic reports as well. 

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 5 of 5