x

My Square Contactless and Chip Card Reader won't charge or turn on. Any ideas?

Last week my contactless and chip reader reader was working just fine.  Today  I try to use it with my first customer.  Not only will it not turn on, it won't even charge.  Any ideas?

Message 1 of 64
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

@mnorton1230 @Rounded - So sorry to hear about the trouble with the readers! I'm happy to offer some tips that can hopefully get you back in business! 

To get started, I'm going to have you try a couple troubleshooting steps: 

1. Plug in the reader and let it charge for at least 20 minutes.  This will insure that the reader battery is fully charged up (and not the culprit). 

2. While the reader is still plugged in and charging, press and hold the power/reset button for at least 20 seconds to fully reboot the reader. FYI, this button is located on the back of the reader by the USB cable slot. 

3. If LED lights turns on, you're all set. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

4.  If lights don't turn on, go ahead and try to repeat the steps one more time. 

If that sill doesn't fix the issue, you can go ahead and process a warranty exchange for the reader.  We will ship out a new one right away! When you send back the old one, our hardware team will be able to take a closer and figure out exactly what happened. 

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 64
63 REPLIES 63
Square

@mnorton1230 Sorry to hear. ๐Ÿ˜•  Those tips have definitely been helpful for some other sellers affected by this issue. You can go ahead and process a warranty exchange here.

@Rounded - Were you able to try out the tips that @Spenser posted?  

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 22 of 64

red light flashing what do i do?

Message 23 of 64

Our contactless reader is doing the same thing. We have contacted Square and there is a problem with a recent update on firmware. 

Message 24 of 64

I have the same problem. I plugged it in to recharge for three hours to no avail--I still get a single flash of a red light when I attempt to turn on the chip reader. Any other possibilties? Thanks.

Message 25 of 64
Alumni

Can you try out the above tips posted by @Spenser? They've been helpful to get many sellers back in business.

And please write back to keep us updated on your progress!

Message 26 of 64

Should we see any lights while it is charging?

How will we know when it is fully charged?

Message 27 of 64

I don't know about the lights on the reader itself, since mine is plugged in all the time and there aren't any lights if it's not in use (processing cards).  There is a small image of a battery on top of the iPad Square screen (under the time, where it says Reader Ready) and you can tell from that if it's fully charged or not, since the image changes.  

Message 28 of 64
Square

@Nanica54 - Thanks for pointing that out! It's a great tip. 

@AZL - While there isn't a charging indicator, if you tap the button on the back - it will light up along the top. You'll see 1-4 green dots (1 being less charged, 4 being most charged). Hope this helps! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 29 of 64

I just did this to mine and it now shows a full charge. Thank you!

Message 30 of 64

I did try all of the suggestions and did not help, now it doesn;t even blink red.  did the warrenty exchange, hope the next one works better...

Message 31 of 64

I appreciate your suggestion.  Hopefully that will work to "reboot" and I will no longer have to input the credit card information and be charged a higher fee.  

Message 32 of 64
Admin

Hey @rucoconuts, welcome to the seller community! Were you able to get the reader to work? If not, feel free to touch base with our Support Team for a closer look, or proceed with a warranty claim.

๏œ๏ธ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 33 of 64

My new chip reader wasn't taking a charge, but after resetting the device by depressing the power button, the green lights came on and I'm good to go.

Thanks for the tip.

Message 34 of 64
Admin

Glad to hear that helped, @Meji! Thanks for letting us know. ๐Ÿ™‚

๏œ๏ธ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 35 of 64

I realize this is an old thread, but having same issue. The thing I do not get is when you state to turn power on reader while charging. How the heck do you do that when it is on the charger? USB connection is right next to power button and not accessible....

Message 36 of 64

Sorry Denice, I'm assuming that you have the dock for the reader so that's why the power button is covered?  Mine is just charging through the USB connected to the stand, so the tiny power button is accessible.  You do need to have longer nails or use a pencil to press the button, though, since it's a bit difficult.  Can you take it out of the dock for a bit?  It doesn't have to be charging all the time.

Message 37 of 64

This does not work for me. 

It was working fine and always in my office drawer so gently and occasionally used. 

Green lights when touch the button so fully charged, I GUESS.

When I try the reset it shows orange blinking lights followed by red blinking lights. 

Cannot even be foound by bluetooth on Iphone.

Warranty period is done but hardly used, obviously some issue here that Square should replace anyhow, especially since you will make money from us.

Message 38 of 64

Hi Christian95,

You say you keep the reader in a drawer and use it only occassionally?  I doubt it can be fully charged if not plugged in.  Rechargeable batteries lose their charge if not put into a device right away, so how about recharging the chip reader for a bit and then going through the steps again?

Message 39 of 64

It was never totally discharged, I am pretty well versered in electronics.

It has been plugged into three different chargers for at least 12 hour each. There is definitely another problem.

Message 40 of 64
Alumni

Hi @Christian95 - Have you seen these additional troubleshooting steps in our Support Center? If you're still not able to pair the reader go ahead and call our CS team so they can help you out!

Message 41 of 64

Same thing but also the audio/lighting jack magstripe card ALSO did not work as a backup.

Why were BOTH suddenly not working?  

I get the wireless keeps sending a message in the app that battery is low. The unit IS pluggedin...but It doesn't know its' being charged?  I wonder..when it's charging should a light be blinking so we get visaul confirmation that its actually charging?

Message 42 of 64