x
mnorton1230

My Square Contactless and Chip Card Reader won't charge or turn on. Any ideas?

Last week my contactless and chip reader reader was working just fine.  Today  I try to use it with my first customer.  Not only will it not turn on, it won't even charge.  Any ideas?

Message 1 of 57
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Spenser Square

Re: My Chip and Pin reader won't charge or turn on. Any ideas?

Best Answer

@mnorton1230 @Rounded - So sorry to hear about the trouble with the readers! I'm happy to offer some tips that can hopefully get you back in business! 

To get started, I'm going to have you try a couple troubleshooting steps: 

1. Plug in the reader and let it charge for at least 20 minutes.  This will insure that the reader battery is fully charged up (and not the culprit). 

2. While the reader is still plugged in and charging, press and hold the power/reset button for at least 20 seconds to fully reboot the reader. FYI, this button is located on the back of the reader by the USB cable slot. 

3. If LED lights turns on, you're all set. 👍🏻

4.  If lights don't turn on, go ahead and try to repeat the steps one more time. 

If that sill doesn't fix the issue, you can go ahead and process a warranty exchange for the reader.  We will ship out a new one right away! When you send back the old one, our hardware team will be able to take a closer and figure out exactly what happened. 

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 57
56 REPLIES 56
Rounded

Re: My Chin and Pin reader won't charge or turn on. Any ideas?

You're not alone.  Mine is doing the same thing.  I just contacted support, hopefully they will help with the issue. 

Message 2 of 57
Spenser Square

Best Answer

@mnorton1230 @Rounded - So sorry to hear about the trouble with the readers! I'm happy to offer some tips that can hopefully get you back in business! 

To get started, I'm going to have you try a couple troubleshooting steps: 

1. Plug in the reader and let it charge for at least 20 minutes.  This will insure that the reader battery is fully charged up (and not the culprit). 

2. While the reader is still plugged in and charging, press and hold the power/reset button for at least 20 seconds to fully reboot the reader. FYI, this button is located on the back of the reader by the USB cable slot. 

3. If LED lights turns on, you're all set. 👍🏻

4.  If lights don't turn on, go ahead and try to repeat the steps one more time. 

If that sill doesn't fix the issue, you can go ahead and process a warranty exchange for the reader.  We will ship out a new one right away! When you send back the old one, our hardware team will be able to take a closer and figure out exactly what happened. 

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 57
mnorton1230

That didn't help, unfortunately.  I tried it a couple times just to be sure.  What should be the next step?

Message 4 of 57
Sean Square

@mnorton1230 Sorry to hear. 😕  Those tips have definitely been helpful for some other sellers affected by this issue. You can go ahead and process a warranty exchange here.

@Rounded - Were you able to try out the tips that @Spenser posted?  

Message 5 of 57
DécorOn34th

Re: contactless + chip reader won't charge

Having same issue, just stopped for no reason at all. It's not been dropped or had anything done to it. 

Message 6 of 57
kklein127

Bluetooth reader won't charge?

I've had my chip/contactless reader for a few months now and it has been awesome.  All of a sudden it won't charge and it just flashes a red light from time to time when I try to charge it.  Is this thing seriously dead after just 6 months of use?  I charge it and run it on Tuesdays for a payment with a client, Wednesdays for one client and Saturdays for one client.  So from a volume perspective I've not used it that much.  Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Kurt

Message 7 of 57
Style2

Our contactless reader is doing the same thing. We have contacted Square and there is a problem with a recent update on firmware. 

Message 8 of 57
mpcbobmari

red light flashing what do i do?

Message 9 of 57
SierraJewelers

contactless + chip reader won't charge

My square contactless + chip reader won't charge from a USB cable. I can get it to charge for 2-3 seconds of I wiggle the cable, but it then stops charging. I'd also like to point out a design flaw in this reader and that is that it won't allow a micro usb cord to seat properly due to the micro usb port not being deep enough.
Message 10 of 57