x

My Square Contactless and Chip Card Reader won't charge or turn on. Any ideas?

Last week my contactless and chip reader reader was working just fine.  Today  I try to use it with my first customer.  Not only will it not turn on, it won't even charge.  Any ideas?

Message 1 of 64
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

@mnorton1230 @Rounded - So sorry to hear about the trouble with the readers! I'm happy to offer some tips that can hopefully get you back in business! 

To get started, I'm going to have you try a couple troubleshooting steps: 

1. Plug in the reader and let it charge for at least 20 minutes.  This will insure that the reader battery is fully charged up (and not the culprit). 

2. While the reader is still plugged in and charging, press and hold the power/reset button for at least 20 seconds to fully reboot the reader. FYI, this button is located on the back of the reader by the USB cable slot. 

3. If LED lights turns on, you're all set. 👍🏻

4.  If lights don't turn on, go ahead and try to repeat the steps one more time. 

If that sill doesn't fix the issue, you can go ahead and process a warranty exchange for the reader.  We will ship out a new one right away! When you send back the old one, our hardware team will be able to take a closer and figure out exactly what happened. 

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 64
63 REPLIES 63

That's pretty odd @Vitalgate

Have you tried doing a hard reset on your contactless and Chip Card Reader and let it charge for a few hours? 

With the Magstripe Readers were there any error messages when trying to process a payment? 

Message 43 of 64

I purchased my reader about 13 months ago to be used every December when I participate in 2 outdoor sells. Last year it worked fine as I only did one event. This year, after a 2 hour charge and a test transaction all was fine. 3 Transactions into the event, it died. I called Square and went through their troubleshooting process to no avail. Then the notifided me that it was more than a year old and was out of warranty. I have another sell this coming weekend and I am down to mag stripe cards and cash. 

I am sure we all expect such a devise to work more that 1 event. The cost of the devise is the lesser of the damaged caused as being unable to process a sell has a huge negative impact on my business. It is clear there is a design flaw with the devise and it seems like a reputable company would correct the problem and replace or repair all the devise in the field that are defective.

I'm looking at their competitors for a solution.

Message 44 of 64

my square reader..not yet even used..is flashing red light..whats this mean?

Message 45 of 64
Square Community Moderator

Hi @lib1, this thread might have some useful information for you. A few other sellers ran into a similar issue. See the tips mentioned above. 

Message 46 of 64

My chip card reader suddenly won't sync to my iPhone anymore. Iv tryed updating my phone but no change. Any one have the issues?

Message 47 of 64
Square

Check out Spenser's answer above for tips and tricks to get you up and running! 

Message 48 of 64

Tried Spencer's tips. here's what's happening: brand new out of box-trying to sync tablet and reader-got lights to flash orange, but htey only last a few seconds, not long enough to complete the sync. Tried to charge and depress button while charging-same thing. Not sure if it's charged or not. When I first put charger in, the lights flash orange then green. Nothing when I unplug. button seems hard to depress, charge cord seems like a poor fit. Recommendations?

Message 49 of 64
Alumni

Hey @woodspirit

Sorry to hear that the troubleshooting tips didn't work out for you. 😕  Feel free to get in touch with our Support Team for a closer look or make a warranty claim.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 50 of 64

My card reader is blinking red and will not turn on

Biu

Message 51 of 64
Admin

Hi @Corrielafrenaye, sorry to hear about the trouble with your reader.😕 Please have a look at Spenser's suggestions as these usually resolve any issue right away. Hope those help!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 52 of 64

Same thing happen to me.  Just got the darn thing was working fine. Had a day off and was dead when I got back to work. Plugged it into outlet all day and it just blinks a red light.  

Message 53 of 64
Square Community Moderator

@Ltmassage Have you tried any of the troubleshooting steps listed in Spensers reply

Message 54 of 64

I'm on my 2nd reader in 4 months and twice the same thing has happened where I go to use a mag swipe while the app is "establishing secure service" with the chip reader and bricks the device...I've done all said steps to try and get it working and now I'm stuck with something that costs 50$ and breaks every few months?

Message 55 of 64
Admin

Hey @Rmarcotte666, sorry to hear that! Were you able to go through Spenser's troubleshooting steps for your reader? 

It's also important to make sure you're using the latest version of the Point of Sale app, and the latest version of your device's software.

If you continue to have trouble with your reader you might want to call our Support team before filing (another) warranty claim. They help you identify the root cause of this issue! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 56 of 64

My Square chip reader is turn on but as soon as I put it in the holder and put the top on to hold in place the reader is off.

I touch it to wake it up but nothing happens. Iv tried to use a card but nothing.

any ideas?

Mary

Message 57 of 64

Hello @Petedose1

The Contactless and Chip Reader will go into sleep mode while it's not being used. The reader actually doesn't have a setting to turn it off or on. It will always be on until it runs out of battery. To wake the reader up add an item to your cart on Square Point of Sale and tap Charge. You should then see one green dot on your reader. This means the reader is ready to accept a charge. 

Please let me know if the reader is still giving you trouble after you give this a try! 🙂

Message 58 of 64

so the chip reader does not light up untill the charge ?

Message 59 of 64
Alumni

Correct. It will light up as soon as you tap Charge on your app.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 60 of 64

I need my reader to be faster.  It takes too long to wake it up.  I keep it plugged in so it will never lose charge.

Message 61 of 64
Alumni

Have you tried running through some troubleshooting yet, @KAFrye?

Making sure you are running the latest version of the app, and that your device software is updated, will also help!

Feel free to get in touch directly if you need a hand, or file a warranty claim if eligible.

P.S. Welcome to the Seller Community 

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 62 of 64
Beta Member

I had one reader for 4 yrs, I now have 6 that died in under a yr??? Won’t take power

Message 63 of 64