x

My chip reader does not work!! Will not stay connected to Android phone.

I have purchased TWO chip readers, one charging dock and one power cord. I have done all of the things int he troubleshooting list that I can do. (ie. updated app, uninstalled old app and reinstalled new one, charged device, held button for 20 seconds, etc.) As soon as I let go of the chip reader and get ready to process a card, it immediately says "chip reader not connected". So here is the deal. I will give this one more try and if I cannot accept chip cards with these devices, I would like to return them and receive my money back. I will just continue with the mag stripe reader.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Super Seller

What model is your Android device as there are thousands of them and not all are compatible?

Message 2 of 9

LG Stylo2V Model number VS835

Message 3 of 9
Super Seller

Message 4 of 9

Aw. That's too bad. The thing is, the firsst one I bought did work for an entire day. Then the next day it quit working, and hasn't worked since. I just received the next reader two days ago, and it does not work at all.

How do I get a refund for all of this stuff?

Message 5 of 9
Super Seller

https://squareup.com/shop/hardware/us/en/return

with android, it is very complicated as basically, every version of a phone runs a slightly modified Android core causing issues.

Message 6 of 9
Beta Member

This is bullsh*t on Square's part. If you think about it, the chip reader is nothing more than a Bluetooth device that passes small amount of data to the Square POS app. If those small Chinese Bluetooh devices maker could make Bluetooth speakers work with almost every Android devices out there, streaming comparably enormous amount of data between the speakers and the Android device, there's little reason to accept that Square, a major mobile payment company that potentially attracts far better talents than those no name Chinese sweatshops, cannot make its own chip reader working reliably on most if not all Android devices.

Message 7 of 9
Super Seller

you could buy an older cheaper iPhone or iPad or compatibAndroidoid device to tether off your phone if you are mobile or to use wifi if it is in your shop.

Message 8 of 9

Hi! I wanted to share this information and your post is the best to do that.

The first chip reader and stand I bought would NOT stay connected to my iPad and it was a pain tearing it apart to reconnect all the time. So I bought the big POS stand, hoping that would make a difference. And it worked perfect.....until one day. Same old problem.

What I discovered is that if the chip reader is always charging....ie the whole stand and hub with iPad and chip reader are plugged in ....it has ALWAYS worked and reconnected in seconds when the iPad is turned off or asleep.

If the power-bar gets turned off or unplugged.....the chip reader won't connect until I take it out of the stand and press the reconnect button.

Go figure.

Now I just keep mine plugged in all the time unless I'm away for a few days.

It might have worked for you the first day because it was charged or plugged in. I would think of it wasn't compatible it would have never worked at all.

I hope you did find a satisfactory solution. 🙂

Message 9 of 9