x

Why am I unable to process credit cards?

My reader does not give me an option to accept a credit card? It isn't listed as a form of payment.

Message 1 of 46
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: How do I "Enable credit card processing"?

Hi again @Abs-doodlebop - it looks like @Minion pointed you in the right direction!

Have you logged into your Square Dashboard on a computer and clicked the clipboard icon?

You will be walked through all of your next steps if you head there - it will look like this:

Learn more about this process here, and let me know if questions come up.

P.S. Welcome to the Seller Community👋

1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

In order to accept payments, we need to obtain, verify, and record identifying information about the owner of the account. If we don't have this, or if the infomation isn't accepted by our system, a seller can't process payments.

To complete the activation process, please sign in to your Square Dashboard and click Activate card processing.

Your activation may be declined if there are any typos, so please pay close attention to the information you enter. Keep the following tips in mind:

- Enter your legal first and legal last name. If you recently changed your name, enter your previous name. (e.g., If you recently married, try entering your maiden name.)
- Use your current home address. If this is the address you initially entered, or if you’ve moved within the last 6 months, try using your previous home address.

Learn more about the information required to activate a Square account on our Support Center.

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 46
45 REPLIES 45

My account doesn't offer the credit card option either. Did you find out what happened? 

Message 2 of 46
Alumni

Best Answer

In order to accept payments, we need to obtain, verify, and record identifying information about the owner of the account. If we don't have this, or if the infomation isn't accepted by our system, a seller can't process payments.

To complete the activation process, please sign in to your Square Dashboard and click Activate card processing.

Your activation may be declined if there are any typos, so please pay close attention to the information you enter. Keep the following tips in mind:

- Enter your legal first and legal last name. If you recently changed your name, enter your previous name. (e.g., If you recently married, try entering your maiden name.)
- Use your current home address. If this is the address you initially entered, or if you’ve moved within the last 6 months, try using your previous home address.

Learn more about the information required to activate a Square account on our Support Center.

Message 3 of 46

I can't find the Activate card processing... I don't know what's wrong

Message 4 of 46

This is not helpful whatsoever.

Message 5 of 46
Admin

I'm sorry that you didn't find the answer to your question here @Braye315.

I see you've already contacted our Support team about this by email. I've escalated your case and a team member will be in touch soon. Thank you for your patience in the meantime.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 6 of 46

I’m also VERY frustrated. I contacted email support and it was a robot that did not help me. Square will not let me process credit cards and I’ve entered all of my creditials correctly, and now it won’t even let me try again with new credentials. Help.

Message 7 of 46
Admin

@Mnthriftyy

Sorry to hear about the frustrations. I know that re-entering your information can be frustrating, due to regulatory purposes we need to be able to verify certain information. For your privacy and account security, I can’t access the information that was entered when you applied, and we keep Account Specifics off this forum due to the public nature of the Community.

If you’d like to apply again, please review the following:

• Are you signing up as a business?: If you’re creating an account for a business or organization, you’ll still need to enter your Social Security Number. You’ll also be able to add your organization’s EIN, which is optional. Adding an EIN ensures 1099 Ks are reported with the EIN provided and not your SSN.
  • Has your name changed in the past 6 months?: Try entering your legal name before it changed.
  • Did you enter a business name or address in the personal info fields?: Make sure to provide us with your legal name and home address.
  • Have you changed your home address in the past 6 months?: Try entering your home address prior to moving.

Hope that helps.

kellyj
Design Program Manager
Square Inc
Message 8 of 46

i cannot accept cards either and all off my info is correct 

Message 9 of 46

I have the same issue and cant accept card payments can somebody please review my account so i can get access

Message 10 of 46
Square Community Moderator

Welcome to the Community, @LBRoadsideLLC

There could be a few different reasons why your card processing isn't working with your reader. Since I cannot check the specifics through the Community, I am going to list them out for you. 

First, I would look for an email mentioning an issue with your account or a recent payment. 

Next, were you able to verify your identity when you started your Square account? If not, this could be the cause with you card issue. 

Another area to check would be the reader itself. What kind of reader are you trying to use. 

Finally, make sure your app and phone software are up today. 

If none of these do the trick, I would recommend reaching out to the CS Team directly. They can look deeper into your payment issue since it sounds to be account specific: 1-855-700-6000.

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 11 of 46

Did you ever find a the solution I had to switch to a whole new app 

Message 12 of 46

Can my birth date and tax status interfere with my square verification? I had an issue where paypal wouldn't verify me because I just turned 18 a few months ago and their app says my birth date makes me under 18.

Message 13 of 46

Hey! Great question! You do have to be 18 to be able to accept credit cards with Square, but it can take up to 6 months for that information to update for some sources, which sounds like what you are running into with Paypal. I would suggest trying to sign up, but if you aren't approved, then waiting a few months before applying again to give the systems time to update your age. 

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions!

AshleyK
Message 14 of 46

I have followed all those prompts and still do not see how to set up to accept credit cards.

Message 15 of 46

where does Activate card processing appear?

Message 16 of 46

Hi @LORobbi - there is no actual 'button' to select to activate card processing abilities. Either you are approved by our internal verification system or you are denied. 

If you'd like to try again, we recommend trying these troubleshooting steps - they should be helpful in attempting to activate.

Joe
Message 17 of 46

I Have Went Threw The ENtire Process Even Confirmed And My Account Is Verified But It Does Not Let Me Make Credit Card Payments

Message 18 of 46
Alumni

Please see this article on the information required to sign up: https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/4955

Message 19 of 46

I tried entering my name & SSN. All were correct, but they still said that they were unable to identify me. I think this is due to the fact that I have an unusual name or perhaps because I didn’t enter my middle name. Had it asked for my middle name, it probably would have went through but it didn’t. Now I am unable to verify myself at all. I have gotten no answer from support and for sone reason, I can’t get a customer code. I really like the website I’ve created through Square and just want to be able to launch next month. Please help. 

Message 20 of 46

Hi @jrivera This thread should provide some helpful information about the activation process - if you still have questions, please reach out to our Customer Success team!

Message 21 of 46