x

My square chip is too short and I have to take it out if otter box for every sale. Is there an exten

Is there an extension for sugars reader
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

I found it on ebay from itsallaboutlaptops -- $7.40, no postage charges (8-28-2016). It's just the correct plug on one end and a socket to plug in the mag stripe reader on the other. Photo appears to be a chrome or steel body, not plastic.

There were two other versions, one more like an extension cord, and I don't remember what the third was like. Top price was about $20, second was closer to $15.

I haven't received the adapter yet, but it is described as specifically designed to solve the Otter Box connection problem.

Keep in mind that you can enter the numbers from the card manually, and it works the same.

Gary Boham
Message 2 of 7
Super Seller

entering the card numbers manually does get the transaction done but it is not the same.  All manually entered card numbers are processed at a higher Credit card processing fee due to the much higher chance of fraud with typed in numbers: Square's fee is 3.5% + 15¢ per transaction for manually keyed in transactions

Message 3 of 7
Alumni

Hello @Shakeyourtree, as @VanKalkerFarms mentioned, taking the phone out of the case works! Also Square doesn't officially support extension cords, but there are a couple customers have had success with: check out these two http://www.kvconnection.com/product-p/km-i354mf-8i.htm and https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/813352-REG/Sescom_IPHONE_ADAPT_1_iAdapt_iPhone_iPod.html

Also, thanks for the tip @GaryLB

Message 4 of 7

we actually cut a little slit in our otter box case and the reader rfits snugly there and it stops it from trying to spin when you swipe card.  our perfrect solution..

Message 5 of 7

The square basic swiper does not work if you have an Otterbox or other iphone protection. It would be great if you made a basic swiper with a longer stem. Otherwise, we are forced to key-in card-present transactions which have higher fees.

Message 6 of 7
Alumni

Hi @giggleyoga - thanks for the feedback, and for taking the time to post. Others have also experienced this issue too and have a few tips. Check out the other comments in this thread about extension cords as a work-around. 

Message 7 of 7