x

New Square Register - Shutting Down / Re-booting

We recently added a new square register to our bar and it has been great. For weeks, we have no issues!  The past week or two, our entire system will just shut down and re-boot.  This process often takes 1 to 3 minutes to happen but today has been taking up to 10 minutes or longer.

It will happen mid transaction or even when we aren't using it.  We do have it set for nightly updates and have checked cables / connections and all seem to be fine (and still the same as they have been since install).

Any ideas?

(I am currently on the waitlist for a call back from square support but figured I would start this as well)

Message 1 of 21
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi @cafeevoke - Sorry to hear about the trouble you're having with Register. This definitely shouldn't be happening! Have you tried any of these troubleshooting steps yet? There's also a reset listed in those instructions which might be helpful.

If you've given all those troubleshooting steps a try and still are having problems, you should give our CS team a call. They should be able to assess the problem and get you back up and running. 

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

One of my baristas just told me that it also often happens when a customer puts the chip in the chip reader..  Not sure if that helps explain things better!

Message 2 of 21

Been having the same issue.  They told me that I needed a new register.  I bought one and it's doing the same thing for the restaurant application.

Message 3 of 21
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi @cafeevoke - Sorry to hear about the trouble you're having with Register. This definitely shouldn't be happening! Have you tried any of these troubleshooting steps yet? There's also a reset listed in those instructions which might be helpful.

If you've given all those troubleshooting steps a try and still are having problems, you should give our CS team a call. They should be able to assess the problem and get you back up and running. 

Message 4 of 21
Beta Member

When we use our Square Register to look up a gift card by number the keyboard switches from numeric back to alpha in the middle of entering the card number. How can we keep this from happening. This is very irritating to our employees and does cause some slow down when they are trying to assist our customers.

Message 5 of 21
Alumni

@vhovar - Yikes 😖 Sorry you're having trouble with the keyboard on your Register - that shouldn't be happening. 

Try the troubleshooting steps @katieand linked in her best answer above. If you're still having trouble, contact CS so they can take a deeper look on their end. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 21

I just got my Square Register and I am testing it out before going live with it in my shop. I am experiencing the same thing- random shutting down and having to reboot. Square has got to provide a better answer other than "This shouldn't be happening." I cannot use it in my business if there is no solution. I will be returning it if I don't get this problem solved because it will be nightmare for my shop. 

UPDATE: I just got off the phone with tech support. VERY HELPFUL! They had me troubleshoot a variety of configurations on the register. Ended up having to do a factory reset. (Menu layout was saved.)

Message 7 of 21
Beta Member

This is happening to me alot recently also.  I am usuing square appointments on it and wondering if I do a factory reset will it save all my info?  

Message 8 of 21
Beta Member

I did the factory reset and it is still happening.  I do notice it when customers are putting their card in the chip reader.  I have the customer display separate from our screen.  Anyone else still having this issue?  

Message 9 of 21
Square Community Moderator

Sorry about the trouble here @HeyBaby! Thank you for going through the factory reset, and giving the troubleshooting steps a ago. In this case, reaching out to our support team would be the next step, so we can look into your settings a bit further, and get to the bottom of the issue. Get in touch with us here 🙂

Message 10 of 21

I am experiencing the same issues.  I followed all the troubleshooting guidelines.  Square technical support said since my register is out of warranty I needed a new one to correct the problem.  I bought a brand new system and installed it, but it's still doing the same thing.

Message 11 of 21

Hi @roysstation  - Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community to bring this to our attention.

I went ahead and merged your duplicate post to this thread where you posted the first time. We merge duplicate conversations together to keep like comments in one place, and to make it easier for others to find the thread in the future. I also want to make sure you've seen our Community Etiquette Guidelines. We ask Seller Community Members to not post the same message in multiple places, as it is not productive for our Moderators.

Now that we have that out of the way, the issue that you're describing is actually something our engineers are aware of and they are currently working towards a fix. The suggested workaround is to create a new device code on your Dashboard and log in with the new code. This should get you back into the Point of Sale.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions. I can post an update here once I receive confirmation that this issue has been resolved. I appreciate your patience in the meantime! 🙏

Violet
Message 12 of 21

This has happened to us twice since the last software update. The update was on Wednesday morning upon powering on, as per our settings. Once on Wed when a customer paid with a chip card and now once on Friday (today) the register goes to a black screen with the white square logo. The payment on Wednesday went through, but the payment today on Friday was "cancelled". My manager is excellent and checked the transaction logs each time to make sure the customer was charged and didn't walk out with free product. 

Message 13 of 21

Sorry to hear this is happening on your Square Register @ccvapesfreedom. Please reach out to our support team so we can take a closer look together! 

Message 14 of 21
Beta Member

The square register at my salon shuts down EVERY TIME the stand alone checkout button is clicked. When the new update/ format started, this started. After calling CS and factory reset, it has still not helped the problem. It takes 3 to 5 minutes to start up again so we have to use our phones, manually enter card info and are now being charged a higher fee for these types of transactions. I think at this point we need a new machine. 

Message 15 of 21

Hey @studiowillow,

Sorry to hear about the trouble here! We're currently seeing an issue with Square Terminal, and Square Register where reboots happen. Our team is currently testing a fix for this issue, and we're posting updates on https://www.issquareup.com. Apologies for the inconvenience caused, and we'll be in touch with an update. 

Message 16 of 21

Our Square register is completely useless. We've factory reset, it continues to reset itself constantly or gets stuck in a loop where it almost boots up then restarts the process continuously for hours at a time. We have three Square registers and this is the only unit having issues. Square we need this fixed.

Message 17 of 21

Has there been any fixes for this issue? My register repeatedly shut down in the middle of a busy service, sometimes not coming back on for 10 minutes. This was my first time using it and it was pretty much unusable, I have a super busy event this weekend that I NEED this working for and I cant seem to find any solution. 

Message 18 of 21

no of course not. Square reps have been extremely unhelpful in the matter, even though I own multiple Square devices and spend tens of thousands of dollars with them annually. they know full well that this is a problem, they don't know how to fix it, so they just ignore it.

Message 19 of 21

I have this issue,  i factory reset everyday.   is there a way to stop the software updates?

Message 20 of 21

Hi @greatbricklab  - Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community to bring this to our attention. I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this.

For this issue, we'll need you to connect with our Support Team so they can gather the information required to create a support ticket, as we cannot access your Square account and device information here in the Seller Community. Then, our engineers can investigate this further. If you haven't already, please reach out to Support directly by logging into your Square account and heading here.

Violet
Message 21 of 21