x
Beta Member

POS App losing wifi connection constantly

Before I had the regular problem of the POS app losing Bluetooth connection with my chip reader if the tablet went to sleep for a certain length of time.  It seems like that has vastly improved but now the app regularly loses the wifi connection.

I get the red bar at the top saying to "restore internet" but the internet is fine.  It is only when the tablet sleeps for a period.  It has been like this for quite a while, I was hoping an update would fix it but it hasn't happened yet.  My workaround is to close it, restart the POS as it opens and connects quicker than trying to get the app connected.  Ideas?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Admin

@cmusicshop

Do any other applications have this issue or does it seem to be only the Square App?

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 2 of 12
Beta Member

Seems to only be the Square app.  To be honest, I don't use the tablet for hardly anything other than Square POS but when I do I have no issues.

Message 3 of 12
Admin

@cmusicshop

Good to know - would you mind uninstalling and reinstalling the app? 

Sometimes a fresh install will do wonders. 

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 4 of 12
Beta Member

I'll give that a shot

Message 5 of 12
Beta Member

Nope, didn't help

Message 6 of 12
Square Community Moderator

Hey @cmusicshop!

Stepping in for @kellyj here. Really sorry this is persisting for you. ☹️

Can you tell me more about what kind of tablet you're using and if the tablet itself might require an update? 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 7 of 12
Beta Member

Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 (10") and the tablet is up to date.  Weird thing is overnight the tablet kept wifi but today after approx. 2 hours of non use it dropped it.  I did find a power saving setting that may have affected Square POS so I will reply if the problem persists or is solved.  

Message 8 of 12

@cmusicshop So I actually just looked up that tablet and it looks like the bluetooth reader shows as un-tested/not compatible with it. 😬

Here's the direct link: Here. So this would be why it works sometimes but is inconsistent and won't always stay connected.

When hardware is un-tested, we can't guarantee it will work at all times or at all.

You can continue using it if that power-saving issue helps with it working but just know if might not work consistently. 

We're always trying to make more devices compatible and that's a pretty popular tablet so hopefully it'll be fully tested soon. 

Ashley C
Message 9 of 12

We found it best to just keep the iPad awake all the time.

Message 10 of 12
Beta Member

I have been having the same problem since August.

Seems square have decide not to address it.

Means square cannot be thought of as a real POS solution, having to reboot the Square app when someone wants to pay is not viable.

Message 11 of 12

Hi there, @bentwonk. Thanks for adding your voice here and letting us know about this issue.

It is sometimes difficult for us to diagnose issues like this without being able to troubleshoot it 'hands-on.' To make sure a resolution is expedited for you, would you mind flagging this over to our Support Team? We should be able to take a deeper dive with you there.

We look forward to hearing from you! 

Joe
Message 12 of 12