x

POS is no longer prompting for customer name.

Our POS used to always prompt us for a name with every new purchase.  Now it is no longer prompting and is by default calling purchase ORDER.  This is greatly impacting our efficiency and our ability to handle orders and correctly get orders out to the right customers.  We have made mo changes to our POS.  

THANKS

Message 1 of 35
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @Mayasand-

Engineering said this issue is a known bug with the version of the POS app that you are running. If you update your app to 5.65 on Tuesday (when it becomes available), the issue should be fully resolved.

Sorry about that and thanks for your patience with us

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 18 of 35
34 REPLIES 34
Alumni

Hi, are you using Open Tickets? If so, we are aware of this issue and are currently working towards a fix. In the meantime, here's a workaround:

With Open Tickets enabled, save the items to a new ticket (Checkout > tap the Tickets button > New Ticket) which will prompt for a ticket name. Then select the ticket from the list of open tickets and proceed to checkout as usual.

@Mayasand

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 35

@JustinC 

Yes, we are using the open tickets and this is the problem.  It was working  fine for years.  Do you know what caused the issue?  We have noticed that it does prompt us for a name if the order contains only a single item.  Only with multiple items did we not get prompted.

Message 3 of 35

@JustinC 

it does appear to be working correctly today.  Was there any type of notification pushed out to square user letting them know them know about this issue?

Message 4 of 35
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @Mayasand - stepping in for Justin on this one in his absence. Glad to hear this is back to functioning normally for you! It's possible that our Engineering team deployed a fix that was impacting functionality for a bit. If you continue to see issues down the road, reach back out to us here and let us know. 

Cheers! 

Joe
Message 5 of 35

@Joe just to report in.  This behavior has been happening again these last few days.  It has been intermittent.  Some times throughout the day it works correctly.  At other times, it no longer prompts for the customer name.

Message 6 of 35
Square Community Moderator

Thanks for reaching back out and letting us know, @Mayasand. Strange, indeed. Would you mind reaching out to our Support Team directly about this? They can take a deep dive with you and file a ticket with our engineers if need be. 

Joe
Message 7 of 35

About 3 out of every 5 transactions are not prompting for an order name when proceeding to charge the ticket. We have a workaround to save the ticket as an open ticket but it is a clunky, inefficient fix. There seems to be no pattern to the problem and rebooting square/our tablet does not solve the issue. Is this a known bug?

Message 8 of 35
Admin

Hey @redcanyoncafe! ️ 

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community.

It seems you may be impacted by this issue. I will go ahead and reach out to our Engineering Team to have them investigate. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 9 of 35
Admin

Our Engineering Team would first like to know if you've tried deleting and reinstalling the Square app while you have no payments pending in offline mode @redcanyoncafe @Mayasand. Can you try this and let me know if it resolves the issue? 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 10 of 35

@isabelle i’m not sure that will help as we have 3 separate pos units.  They are all exhibiting this behavior.  It is random which tickets will and will not prompt for a customer name.  I had another occurrence just now.  It is receipt “V4pN”. It was a single food item and a single specialty coffee.  The ticket was entered at 12:40pm.

i will try on one pos. 

Message 11 of 35
Admin

Thank you @Mayasand

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 12 of 35

@isabelle 

Here’s an update.  I deleted the pos yesterday and then reinstalled on one device.  Today, on the same device, I am still experiencing intermittent behavior of randomly not prompting for a ticket name.  
the receipt id is “H1dy”

it was for three items in our drive through section and one item in our drinks section.  Two of the drive through items were from the breakfast category.  One item is uncategorized.  The drinks item was from our coffee category.

Message 13 of 35

@isabelle 
I can photograph the printed tickets and can screenshot the transactions if needed.  And the above instance happened at 9:49 on the 13th.

Message 14 of 35
Admin

Screenshot please @Mayasand! Then I'll file the ticket with Engineering. Thanks for trying that troubleshooting step! 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 15 of 35

@isabelle here is the screenshot of the transaction from today (post pos delete and reinstal)

5D793C5B-72BA-427F-9650-D73D217F5EFC.png07018976-B9E1-4CD9-8684-0822A09ED69C.png

Message 16 of 35
Admin

Thanks so much @Mayasand. I've reached out to Engineering. I will get back to you when I hear something. Thanks for your patience 👩🏼‍💻

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 17 of 35
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @Mayasand-

Engineering said this issue is a known bug with the version of the POS app that you are running. If you update your app to 5.65 on Tuesday (when it becomes available), the issue should be fully resolved.

Sorry about that and thanks for your patience with us

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 18 of 35

@isabelle 

we did see an update on the pos on Tuesday.  But our version number is showing 5.64.  When i go to the app store, i dont have a version 5.65 available.  My pos says it is up to date.

thanks.

Message 19 of 35

Nevermind.  I went back again just now and a new update was available.  Ill monitor it.

Message 20 of 35
Beta Member

Hi Olive!  This happened to us for the first time today after 10 years of using Square as a POS. Everything was going fine, and all of a sudden it stopped asking us for Ticket names unless we save the order first as a work around.

We did start using flash order Square plug in as a kiosk ordering tool today as well, but it was working well and we were still able to take names on our end on the Square register. I don't think the issue is related to us starting to use the kiosk, but could be?

Any clues?

Thank you!

Message 21 of 35