x

Point a 2nd Domain to my square online store

I have two domains that are very similar: (outdoorbirdsupply.com or www.outdoorbirdsupplies.com) 

I had no problem getting one of the correct domains pointing to the square homepage. I tried to get the "misspelled" domain (outdoorbirdsupply.com) to point to the home page using an external URL Standard type of pointing. I basically pointed outdoorbirdsupply.com to https://www.outdoorbirdsupplies.com

This should have worked; however, I get a 404 error.

The only thing I can figure is that the domain connection using the square online (weebly) system isn't setup for this. I believe that what would fix this is if I could get the actual weebly address of the website.

Any idea how I get that?

PS: For a product enhancement, if the square online would allow to put two (or more) domains attachments using their current domain system.

Message 1 of 5
1 Best Answer

Best Answer

Okay with the help of Square Online tech support I got the domain pointer fixed. My mistake was months earlier I changed the DNS "A" records of the 2nd domain to square. Then a few weeks later since that wasn't working, I tried to just point the domain to the 1st domain. 

Since my DNS was already pointing to square the square system didn't understand the pointer and gave me a 404 error.

The solution, I just simply changed the "A" records of the 2nd domain back to Dotster (my domain provider) and the pointer started working within a 1/2 hour.

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

HI, yes, you can have 2 domains to one URL.  Search your domain provider support pages they should have step by step instructions.

example: GoDaddy 2nd domain using Domain Forwarding

https://www.godaddy.com/help/forward-my-godaddy-domain-12123

Hope this helps.
TERRI
Message 2 of 5

Hey Terri, that is were I started. I have about 70 domains so I got a pretty good handle on pointers and dns in general. 

If I can't get the weebly address, I may just send the domain to a blank website with a redirect script on it.

dp

Message 3 of 5

Best Answer

Okay with the help of Square Online tech support I got the domain pointer fixed. My mistake was months earlier I changed the DNS "A" records of the 2nd domain to square. Then a few weeks later since that wasn't working, I tried to just point the domain to the 1st domain. 

Since my DNS was already pointing to square the square system didn't understand the pointer and gave me a 404 error.

The solution, I just simply changed the "A" records of the 2nd domain back to Dotster (my domain provider) and the pointer started working within a 1/2 hour.

Message 4 of 5
Square Community Moderator

Awesome, @dpeterson101 😁 Thanks for sharing! ❤️

Message 5 of 5