x

Re-Categorizing Old Sales: Change "Custom Amount" to an Item for Reporting

I have a WooCommerce website integrated with Square. However, many of the transactions are being recorded in Square as "Custom Amount" rather than being associated with their corresponding item. I can fix this for items moving forward, but for reporting purposes, I'm wondering if it's possible to go back to sales reports and edit the sale to be categorized as the actual item the customer bought? 

Tags (2)
Message 1 of 20
1 Verified Answer
Tom
Verified Answer

Re: Re-Categorizing Old Sales: Change "Custom Amount" to an Item for Reporting

Hey @leadthemhome, thanks for flagging this.

Really sorry to hear about the trouble. From our end, there isn't a way to edit any details of a completed payment, including the item description. You might want to touch base with WooCommerce to see if there are any additional workarounds that they can provide in this case.

Hope this helps get you in the right direction. If anything else comes up, please let us know!

1 Best Answer
Partner

Best Answer

Hi there,

As we note in our documentation for the WooCommerce Square plugin:

https://docs.woocommerce.com/document/woocommerce-square/#section-17

When we built the plugin this was not an option as Square's API did not support passing itemized transactions. Recently though Square has updated their system to allow for itemized transaction details. In order to take advantage of this, the WooCommerce Square plugin needs to be completely rewritten. We have this on our development plan, however, I do not currently have an ETA on when that may be though.

View Best Answer >

Message 16 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Admin

Hey @leadthemhome, thanks for flagging this.

Really sorry to hear about the trouble. From our end, there isn't a way to edit any details of a completed payment, including the item description. You might want to touch base with WooCommerce to see if there are any additional workarounds that they can provide in this case.

Hope this helps get you in the right direction. If anything else comes up, please let us know!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 2 of 20

I'm having the same issue and opened a support ticket with Square to provide some feedback. I hope they resolve this issue.

Message 3 of 20

I'm having the same problem with Wix as my platform.  They tell me to contact Square.  There must be a way to integrate the two, and I hope it's in the plans for software updates.  this is an accounting nightmare for me, who wears all the hats and is the sole employee.

Message 4 of 20
Admin

I'm very sorry for the trouble this has caused @spinoffyarnshop. Sales made via some eCommerce integrations, like WooCommerce and Wix, will be uncategorized in your Square reports.

Unfortunately,  there isn't a way to make changes to a completed trasnsaction - but changing the category of a sale is a popular request. As mentioned in this thread, WooCommerce is working on a solution but you'd need to check with Wix if this is on their roadmap. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 5 of 20

Thank you for the reply. I opened a ticket with wix to see if they can do anything about it. We shall see. For what it's worth, Shopify integrates with Square, and I'm looking into moving my website there.

Message 6 of 20

As of novice coder, I did some research because I experienced the same issue with itemizations. You will need to set up Square's Checkout API for your website. This means your customers will checkout on a separate page then get redirected back to your site after completing the order. I personally think it's worth it because having accurate reporting numbers in your square dashboad is crucial, and saves so much time. I will keep things this way until square updates the capabilites on their Transaction API. If interested, see info below per square's website:

Can I see my item sales history and inventory in the online Dashboard for my API sales?

Support for itemizations is limited to Square Checkout. Items sold using Square’s Transactions API display as ‘Online Transaction’ in your online Dashboard, whereas sales using Square Checkout API enable you to view item-level sales and inventory sold online. Learn more about Square Checkout API.

Message 7 of 20

Yes, would like the option to fix Custom items into proper category

Message 8 of 20
Admin

Hey @isabelleAlv and @EarthSoothers, thanks for checking in here.

I was able to do some digging on this and, while we do not have a specific timeline, we are looking into ways of improving this itemization issue. Please keep in touch for updates, and let us know if any other questions come up.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 9 of 20

Hi,

Just wanted to let you know that enabling an itemization of WooCommerce transactions in Square would be very much appreciated over here, as well.

Thanks for your help in this matter!

Nic

Message 10 of 20
Square Community Moderator

@IAMBooksBoston Thanks for expressing your interest in this. We'll be sure to update everyone if any changes occur. 

Message 11 of 20

have we made any headway in being able to categorize sales that come in to the system as uncategorized from another connected store front. I have 192 uncategorized sales and absolutely no way of managing that on my square account or running a quick report to make sure we covered all of our sales needs without counting on my hands and cross referening

Message 12 of 20
Alumni

Hi @bbbhand - Thanks for your question! We're checking in with our team and will update you when we hear back. 

Message 13 of 20

Has any progress been made of this? I have the same issue. 

Message 14 of 20
Square Community Moderator

No new updates as of right now @STGBicycleColl

You're not able to edit payments that are already complete, and Square Itemization doesn't integrate with WooCommerce. 

Maybe @Woo_Phil can chime in on whether or not this might be possible in the future? 

Message 15 of 20
Partner

Best Answer

Hi there,

As we note in our documentation for the WooCommerce Square plugin:

https://docs.woocommerce.com/document/woocommerce-square/#section-17

When we built the plugin this was not an option as Square's API did not support passing itemized transactions. Recently though Square has updated their system to allow for itemized transaction details. In order to take advantage of this, the WooCommerce Square plugin needs to be completely rewritten. We have this on our development plan, however, I do not currently have an ETA on when that may be though.

Message 16 of 20

How do I know if I am using WooCommerce?  I have uncategorized sales appear all of the time, and I have no idea why or what to do about it.  

Message 17 of 20
Admin

Hi @DoggyDelights! If you used WooCommerce you'd have a WooCommerce account as well as a Square account. Do you have an online store or are you working with a developer who manages your website? 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 18 of 20

As of novice coder, I did some research because I experienced the same issue with itemizations. You will need to set up Square's Checkout API for your website. This means your customers will checkout on a separate page then get redirected back to your site after completing the order. I personally think it's worth it because having accurate reporting numbers in your square dashboad is crucial, and saves so much time. I will keep things this way until square updates the capabilites on their Transaction API. If interested, see info below per square's website:

Can I see my item sales history and inventory in the online Dashboard for my API sales?

Support for itemizations is limited to Square Checkout. Items sold using Square’s Transactions API display as ‘Online Transaction’ in your online Dashboard, whereas sales using Square Checkout API enable you to view item-level sales and inventory sold online. Learn more about Square Checkout API.

Message 19 of 20
Beta Member

Now that itemized transactions are going over to square, is there any insight into what might cause some transactions to (seemingly randomly) go over as "custom amount" rather than itemized?--thanks...;)

Edit:: Looks like the "source;" is listed different on the square transaction... what is the difference b/w "e-commerce integrations" & "woocommerce" as the source?

Message 20 of 20