x

Reader Updating, always 0%

Trying to use my new dual purpose reader.  It says it is updating the reader, but the percent never changes from zero.

Message 1 of 24
2 Best Answers
Alumni

Best Answer

Sorry for the frustration here!

From what I understand, you're talking about our Square Chip Card Reader. Can you try these steps from our troubleshooting article? Some of the tips are as follows:

• Remove any case or cover from your device. Some cases prevent the reader from plugging in completely.
  • Update to the latest version of the Square app.
  • Make sure you’re using a supported device
  • Unplug the reader and plug it back in while the Square app is open.
  • Delete and reinstall the Square app. See Apple or Google support for instructions.
  • Plug the reader into a power source, leave it for 1-5 minutes, and then plug it back into the device. 

If you continue to have issues, you'll need to submit a warranty claim.

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 24

Best Answer

I was having the 0% problem updating the Square chipless reader and finally got it fixed.  The solution was to unpair the reader from the Square Android app (press the Forget It button within the app), unpair it from my phone, and then turn the reader off.  To do this hold the button for 20 seconds until the 4 lights blink red a few times.  Wait about 10 seconds then press the button and hold until the 4 lights blink green.  Then pair the reader with your phone (hold the button until the lights flash yellow), and then pair it with the Square app the same way.  After doing all this it updated to 100% and all is good.  You're welcome.

View Best Answer >

Message 19 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

i have this problem too; i ordered a chip reader, and it worked fine, then i bought another reader at Best Buy, charged it and plugged it in — the Register app says "Updating Reader 0% — Keep Register Open"

it has been like that for at least 20 minutes now, and i need to leave and take my phone with me, so i can't leave it open; i hope it doesn't ruin the reader

Message 2 of 24

Just wondering how you came out with this.  My has been updating for over an hour and still says upating 0%.  What happens if I remove the reader?  Will it finish the update next time it is plugged in?  Thanks.

Message 3 of 24
Alumni

Best Answer

Sorry for the frustration here!

From what I understand, you're talking about our Square Chip Card Reader. Can you try these steps from our troubleshooting article? Some of the tips are as follows:

• Remove any case or cover from your device. Some cases prevent the reader from plugging in completely.
  • Update to the latest version of the Square app.
  • Make sure you’re using a supported device
  • Unplug the reader and plug it back in while the Square app is open.
  • Delete and reinstall the Square app. See Apple or Google support for instructions.
  • Plug the reader into a power source, leave it for 1-5 minutes, and then plug it back into the device. 

If you continue to have issues, you'll need to submit a warranty claim.

Message 4 of 24
Alumni

Alright, so I just spoke with someone on our Support team to dig in further here, @chabunga, @sales-info, and @rmcnargs.

The update typically takes a minute or less, the Supporter said. If it's stuck on 0%, this is a sign of a weak Wi-Fi connection or the need to update the Square app. If you've double checked your Internet connection and everything's running correctly, please download the latest version of the Square app. We just released new versions of the app for iOS and Android yesterday.

Give us a shout if this works for you. (Hope it does!) If it doesn't, we'll circle back with our team.

Message 5 of 24

I spoke with someone at Square yesterday regarding this.  For about the sixth time, I uninstalled, then downloaded and installed the Register app on both our LG3 and HTC One E8.  When completed I inserted the chip card reader into the LG3 and it actually updated!  Took it about ten minutes.  Once updated, the reader said ready.  All was well until I removed the reader from my phone.  Now it will not connect.  Same with the HTC One E8.  The first time it connected and said ready and now will not connect with that phone either. 

Message 6 of 24
Alumni

Not a good result, @sales-info Sorry you had to go through that.

It seems the best step at this point is for you to return the hardware through our warranty process. Then we can outfit you with a reader that updates correctly.

Message 7 of 24

My reader, which I've had for a couple of months, started the "square reader updating" process this morning--and it's stuck at 0%. I've restarted the phone (twice), unpaired and re-repaired the reader, made sure I have the latest app version (I do)--so now what?

Message 8 of 24
Alumni

Sorry this is still an issue for you, @max221

If you've gone through all the troubleshooting steps for the chip card reader, you'll need to file a warranty claim.

Message 9 of 24

OK... the reader is clearly working--it shows as "ready" and when I input a charge amount it connects to the reader without any problem. That suggests a software problem, not hardware. I don't mind putting in a warranty claim, but it seems a little odd.

Message 10 of 24
Alumni

With the new version of the app and a strong Wi-Fi connection, the chip card reader should update quickly. If it's not, this may be an issue with the reader receiving the firmware and you'll want to send it in.

If the reader is working when you are running transactions, and you think the update issue may be a temporary blip, then you should proceed as normal and check back in with me if the reader is malfunctioning down the road.

Message 11 of 24

I have great wi fi and still nothing!

Message 12 of 24

Did you follow the steps in my post (unpairing from both the app and phone and rebooting the reader)?

Message 13 of 24

I did several times

Message 14 of 24

What worked for me, on my Android device, was simply going into Notification settings and allowing notifications from Square. This will get rid of the annoying updating Square message, as long as the chip reader is working. 

Message 15 of 24

When I called in on Monday someone was going to send us another reader.  But since we have had two of them do this same thing now, we are giving up on the Square reader.  We don't feel that we could count on it to work once we get to an event and have people standing in line to buy stuff.  So we just want to return the two we have and get a refund for the one we paid for.

Message 16 of 24
Alumni

Sorry this has been such a hassle for you. If you want to talk about a refund or other account-specific issues, as you indicated, speaking with our Support team is your best bet.

We do have other options for running transactions, which you can find in the Square Shop (including our latest offering, the contactless and chip reader). Hope you'll stick with us for your event.

Message 17 of 24

I received the second chip card reader I have had today.  The first one would not connect to either of our phones.  The new one connected to our LG3, then immediately said it was updating.  It has said Updating for well over an hour and has used over 30% of the phones battery.  How long should this update take?  What happens if I remove the reader now so I can use the phone for other things?  Will it just continue the update the next time the reader is connected?  Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions/information you can give.

Message 18 of 24

Best Answer

I was having the 0% problem updating the Square chipless reader and finally got it fixed.  The solution was to unpair the reader from the Square Android app (press the Forget It button within the app), unpair it from my phone, and then turn the reader off.  To do this hold the button for 20 seconds until the 4 lights blink red a few times.  Wait about 10 seconds then press the button and hold until the 4 lights blink green.  Then pair the reader with your phone (hold the button until the lights flash yellow), and then pair it with the Square app the same way.  After doing all this it updated to 100% and all is good.  You're welcome.

Message 19 of 24

Ive done these steps 3xs and nothing! still at 0% after 20 min.

Message 20 of 24

That worked, dude. Thanks!

Message 21 of 24