x
Beta Member

Should the contactless reader beep after a transaction?

I purchased three contactless readers when they were first sold. All three of them gave off a beep when the transaction was successful. Recently, one died and I just received a replacement. The replacement handles transactions, but does not beep after the transaction occurs. Should it not beep?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Square

Hi @DrSFG. Welcome to the Seller Community. We're happy to have you! As for your question, you should most definitely be hearing a beep after each successful transaction. 📣  Out of curiosity, have you tried testing it out using your own card in quiet space? I know that the beep isn't that loud. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 2 of 7
Beta Member

"Out of curiosity, have you tried testing it out using our own card in quiet space?"

Could you please explain this? Whose card? I've used my patient's card, and it does not beep, even slightly, unless my hearing is going.

Message 3 of 7
Super Seller

Message 4 of 7
Beta Member

Well, I tried the new contactless reader with a patient's credit card just a few hours ago and held it up to my ear. There is absolutely NO beep with the transaction completion.

Message 5 of 7
Beta Member

This morning I tried it with Apple Pay, and the beep was loud and clear. But now I'll need to see if that woke up the sleeping giant with reading clip credit cards.

Message 6 of 7
Square

@DrSFG - Glad to hear! Also, I totally mean't "your" (I fixed the typo). It does look like you updated your Square Reader to the latest software version this morning, so I bet that did the trick! Please let us know if things still aren't working next time you try using a chip card. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 7 of 7