x

Square Chip Card Reader not working properly

My new reader says that it will work with both a chip and magstripe, but it will not recognize magstripe and says "Chip must be inserted.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Square Community Moderator

Hey @Marty44! Welcome to the Community. 

Can you clarify for me which reader you're using? Also, what was the price of it so I know exactly which one? 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 8

Thank you for your response, I bought it on-line from Bsst Buy and it was about $35.  

The only numbers I see anywhere are on the bos - one says:  S/N903LS093005417.  Directly below that is another string of numbers with no label.  They are:  55658003334. 
The front of the box simply says Square Reader and shows a picture of a chip card and a magstripe one, and it does have the two slots.  Thank you for any help you can provide.

Marty 

Message 3 of 8

@Marty44 Ah okay so you have the one that has two side for chip and magstripe. You can swipe chip cards with the regular magstripe reader but if it has the option for chip, you'll have to insert the card into the chip side with the chip facing down. 

Ashley C
Message 4 of 8

Yes, I know that, we have been using one with both options since the new chip one came out.  Has there been an update that I might have missed?  Now, it doesn't work with either payment type.

Message 5 of 8

@Marty44 No it should work for either! Have you made sure it's charged? 

You said originally that it prompted you to insert the chip when you tried to swipe. So that's why I was saying you have to insert it if it's a chip card. It won't let you swipe the chip card unless it's only a magstripe reader. 

Ashley C
Message 6 of 8

I do know how to use it, I have been using one for several years until it stopped working.  I know that you have to swipe the magstrip and just insert the chip side.  I am sorry, but you haven't told me anything that I don't already know.  Could the reader just be defective and not able to read magstripes?

Message 7 of 8
Admin

Hey @Marty44- jumping in for @ ashc here.

For us to know for sure if it's the reader that is defective, could you please go through these troubleshooting steps? I know the article specifically says that the steps are meant for our Magstripe Reader, but you can still apply these steps to the reader that you're using.

If you still run into issues after going through the troubleshooting steps, I'd suggest checking with Best Buy and seeing if you'd be able to have it replaced under warranty. 

Let me know if you have other questions. Thanks for your patience!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 8 of 8