x

Square Chip Card Reader not working properly

I have the Square Card Chip reader for the POS app. Went to go use it yesterday and the card reader said a card was inserted  when there wasn't one in it. It would not take a card  when one was inserted or take a swipe. Just kept saying "Re-insert Chip Card to Charge" whether there was a card in the reader or not. Is it a defective reader? Already un-installed and re-installed the App and still no change.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Super Seller Alumni

Press and hold the power button on the reader for about 20-30 seconds until resets.  See if that works for you.  If you are still having issues,  disconnect the reader and you will be able to use the swiper.

Message 2 of 13

The reader doesn't have a power button to press. It is the one with the headphone jack on it. I even removed the Square app from my phone and re-installed. Same issue. I tried the bluetooth, contactless one and had nothing but issues with it, but this one has worked great until this day. 

Message 3 of 13
Super Seller Alumni

Might take a can of air to it.  Maybe there is something in it?  If that doesn't work I would get a new one.

Message 4 of 13

I did think of that too and tried it several times. Still no go. Ordered a new one yesterday. I ordered this one on Sept. 7, 2017 and having to replace it already. Hope that is not a common occurance with this reader! 

Message 5 of 13
Super Seller Alumni

Message 6 of 13

It is only $29 to order a new one, but I will turn this one in for warranty. Seeing how my business has several locations, I could have one in both instead of carring it around.  Thanks for the link RHatch

Message 7 of 13

Same issue my contactless tap keep saying re insert chip card reader and no tap works.

Message 8 of 13
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Iffat - I'm sorry to hear that this issue with your Contactless + Chip Reader has brought you to the Seller Community😥

If you haven't already, I recommend following the steps listed here to reset your reader.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions.

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 9 of 13

Contactless tap reader keep showing "Re insert chip card reader" and won't complete transaction

Message 10 of 13

Thank you. I followed the steps. Issue is not resolving. Same error message re insert chip reader to charge. It's a contactless tap reader

Message 11 of 13
Square Community Moderator

Thanks for following up, @Iffat - Since the troubleshooting steps aren't improving things for you, the next step would be to contact our Support Team. If you haven't already, please reach out to Support directly by logging into your Square account and heading here.

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 12 of 13

Thank you. I am in Canada and looks like customer support is not available till Monday. I will have to wait till then. Thank you again.

Message 13 of 13