x

Square Reader: Connection issues

Running a hairdressers and using reader for the first time today. 2 stylists both with permissions set but it would appear they will need to constantly disconnect from reader to allow another user to connect. Am I doing something wrong, or is there a solution to this?

Thanks 

Message 1 of 5
Report Inappropriate Content
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

I'm assuming you mean that in the store you have a couple of people working, using their own phones & a single square reader? 

The reader will only be able to connect to one device at a time (although I think it can be paired with several devices, you still need to manually change between them). 

It's a limitation of bluetooth I think. The readers are cheap enough to pick up another, or if you're feeling flush then the Terminal is also a great option & would be a business unit rather than people having to use their own phones etc. 

Pizza Is Chill

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Super Seller

Best Answer

I'm assuming you mean that in the store you have a couple of people working, using their own phones & a single square reader? 

The reader will only be able to connect to one device at a time (although I think it can be paired with several devices, you still need to manually change between them). 

It's a limitation of bluetooth I think. The readers are cheap enough to pick up another, or if you're feeling flush then the Terminal is also a great option & would be a business unit rather than people having to use their own phones etc. 

Pizza Is Chill

Message 2 of 5

Thanks. Is the terminal reader in place of the smaller reader in that I wouldn’t need both?

Message 3 of 5
Admin

@Stephd if you have the Square Terminal, you won't need the Square Reader but you can keep it on hand as a back-up method for taking card payments.

The Terminal is a stand-alone device so people wouldn't have to use their phones as well. Here's a handy video of how you can use the Square Terminal, which should give you a better idea of how it can be setup! 

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 4 of 5
Admin

Hi @Stephd, thank you for reaching out!

At the moment, the reader can only be connect to one device at a time. If you have multiple stylists who are taking payments from their own devices, the best thing is to get another reader so that they don't need to disconnect it from the phone every time.

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 5 of 5