x

Square register with scale says "Incompatible unit"

Hi we recently got a Brecknell 6710U scale to hook up through our Square Terminal (purchased through Square) . The scale is hooked up properly, the terminal sees it as connected and reading in lb. We created the items by weight and made sure they are by the pound. When we click on one of these items in the checkout it says "Incompatible unit. Please enter manually". The scale is reading to .00 and I also have the unit set up in square as .00.

Anyone else run into this issue or have some thoughts on what I could try to fix it? I have also tried using the different units but run into the same issue. 

Thanks!

Message 1 of 31
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Square register with scale says "Incompatible unit"

Thank you for your patience here as I gathered a bit more information about the compatibility issue with the Square Register and the Brecknell 6710U scale - @clovernook @CHC_Admin @Cassyjack @bccr @Favorita @CGFarm_Pat @joshsf

I was able to confirm with our Square Register team that a fix was pushed out to anyone using the Square Register on August 18. If you are running at least SQUID version 4.10 on your Square Register, you should no longer be experiencing this issue.

So sorry to hear about the ongoing troubles - please be sure to let me know here if you are running SQUID version 4.10 or higher and are continuing to run into trouble so I can funnel that up to our team.

30 REPLIES 30
Alumni

@MichiganFarmsta you use the Brecknell scale for your Square Register, right? Mind helping @clovernook with some troubleshooting? 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 31

Yes, we just received our new Brecknell scale and are having the same issues?  We went through all 100+ pages of the Brecknell user guide and Square and nothing has worked for hours and hours and hours...

Message 3 of 31

We still haven’t had any luck. Going to try tech support again today I guess. 

Message 4 of 31

Us either we've set every setting multiple times, this may be the reason we leave Square lack of support and help, training, etc...

Message 5 of 31
Alumni

@clovernook and @CHC_Admin -

I wanted to drop in to let you both know that our engineers are aware of this issue, and have been working towards a fix. I'll be sure to post an update here in this thread when I have one for you - thanks for your patience in the meantime!

Valentina
Message 6 of 31
Alumni

Dropping in with an update! 🔧

This issue was fixed with the release of the latest update to the Square Register. Please let us know here if anything looks off this time around. Thanks for your patience, @clovernook and @CHC_Admin.

Valentina
Message 7 of 31

We are currently having the same issue.  Checked and it says the software is up to date.  Has the update resolved this for anyone?

Message 8 of 31

@Cassyjack It has not resolved the issue for us. we have a ticket in and we will see.

Message 9 of 31
Alumni

I'm sorry to hear that you're still experiencing troubles with the Brecknell scale and Square Register, @CHC_Admin. It sounds like you've recently reached back out to let our team know about this - thank you for that! 

@Cassyjack - if you haven't already, please get in touch with our Support team. They'll need to gather some information about what you're seeing so they can dig deeper here. Thanks in advance for the help here.

Valentina
Message 10 of 31

I am having the same problem with a new Brecknell Scale and Square Register, despite trying all the suggestions in this thread. Wondering if I should return the scale or if you anticipate getting the problem resolved soon? $500 seems like a lot for a scale that doesn't work properly.

Message 11 of 31
Alumni

The first thing I recommend doing is getting in touch with our Support team directly.

It sounds like our engineers may need to look into this integration, but first they'll need to be made aware that you are running into a bit of trouble. I've also bubbled this thread up to them - if you haven't already, please be sure to reach out so that our team can take note of what you're experiencing @bccr - thank you for your understanding!

Valentina
Message 12 of 31

Thank you for the reply.  I have submitted a support ticket and will wait for a response.  The frustration for me and others I believe, is when Square markets something as compatible hardware when it clearly is not.

In my former career they called it the "implied warranty of fitness for a particular purpose." That means that if a seller knows or has reason to know of a particular purpose for which some item is being purchased by the buyer, the seller is guaranteeing that the item is fit for that particular purpose.  

Message 13 of 31

Still doesn't work, poor development methods and terrible support.  So frustrated with Square!

Message 14 of 31

We ended up sending ours back and asking for a refund. It is very frustrating that they actively market something as compatible when it clearly isn't.

Support did tell us they had a fix in the pipeline and that it would be included in a future update, so hopefully you will luck out in the end!

Message 15 of 31
Square Community Moderator

So sorry to hear about your experience, @bccr - we appreciate you bouncing back and letting us know where you landed. I am curious, did you end up speaking with our Support Team to troubleshoot your scale connectivity? 

Joe
Message 16 of 31

Here is the quote from my support person, dated August 5th:

"I reached out to our Engineering team and they are aware of this issue and are working to resolve it quickly. In fact, they are currently rolling out an update that will resolve this issue. The rollout began today and should be completed by early next week, if not before."

I installed every available update up until August 21st, no dice. Then I sent the scale back for a refund. As far as I know, the promised fix still hasn't been implemented.

Thanks for following up, but I would rather those several hours of my life back, please. 😉

Message 17 of 31
Alumni

Thank you for your patience here as I gathered a bit more information about the compatibility issue with the Square Register and the Brecknell 6710U scale - @clovernook @CHC_Admin @Cassyjack @bccr @Favorita @CGFarm_Pat @joshsf

I was able to confirm with our Square Register team that a fix was pushed out to anyone using the Square Register on August 18. If you are running at least SQUID version 4.10 on your Square Register, you should no longer be experiencing this issue.

So sorry to hear about the ongoing troubles - please be sure to let me know here if you are running SQUID version 4.10 or higher and are continuing to run into trouble so I can funnel that up to our team.

Valentina
Message 18 of 31

Of course, we've been through these steps and verifications.  We have the latest updates.  Y'all are worse than the phone/internet company service!

Message 19 of 31
Alumni

Thanks for confirming that you're still running into troubles, @CHC_Admin.

I've gone ahead and notified our team so that we can get eyes on this again.

Valentina
Message 20 of 31

We are up to version 4.14 and still no fix for the promoted scale option???

Message 21 of 31