x
Beta Member

Terminal restarts

We have 2 Terminals and both restart or freeze randomly during a sale? We have tried a factory reset but still happens! Terminals are 2 weeks old and software upto date, does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem might be?  TIA 

Message 1 of 41
Report Inappropriate Content
2 Best Answers
Admin

Best Answer

This is top priority for our team so we are actively working on getting a fix out as soon as possible.

With regards to the printers, would these be ethernet/WiFi printers @The_Sun_Inn? If they are, the network issue would definitely caused the printer to disconnect unfortunately.

If they are USB printers, can you try running through these troubleshooting steps

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!

View Best Answer >

Message 7 of 41
Admin

Best Answer

Hi everyone, thank you for your patience while we look into this issue on our end! There should be a Critical Update available for your Terminal when you next turn it on. The update should help with the network issue everyone has been experiencing but let me know if you are still running into problems, I can definitely look into this further.

Tra

View Best Answer >

Message 14 of 41
40 REPLIES 40
Admin

Hey @The_Sun_Inn, sorry to hear you are running into this! Have you been able to run through the troubleshooting steps outlined here as well

If you have and the Terminal continues to freeze, the best thing would be to contact our Support team directly so they can investigate further and help get the diagnostic reports as well. 

Tra
Message 2 of 41
Beta Member

Hi @tranguyen thanks for the reply, yes I've tried the troubleshooting steps and will monitor the problem. We have also had problems with the terminals disconnecting from the 2 printers we have so I was wondering if it was a network issue, so have tried resetting the network and making sure they have enough signal strength, will see how it goes. 

Message 3 of 41

We are having the same problem with our Terminal over the last 1-2 weeks. It will randomly be unable to process a payment and will require a restart during service. Sometimes more than once. My guess is the most recent software update has introduced this issue.

Message 4 of 41
Admin

Sorry to hear this @CB2020! I know there's currently some issues with the Terminal connection to internet. If you're running into this problem, our team have advised the following troubleshooting steps that will help until we are able to fully resolve the underlying problem.

1. Navigate to Configure Device Settings > Network or Main Menu > Settings > Hardware > Network
  2. Toggle off the Wi-Fi switch, and then toggle it back on
  3. Once the Terminal is connected to the network again, restart the device immediately by holding down the power button and selecting Restart
  4. After the Terminal is successfully connected to the network
  5. Please try to send a Diagnostic Report immediately after reconnecting to internet. You can do so by going to Main Menu > Support > Troubleshooting > Send Diagnostic Report

Once I have confirmation that the issue has been fully resolved, I'll be sure to follow up and update this thread as well. 

Tra
Message 5 of 41
Beta Member

I have just done this on both terminals today, hopefully there will be a fix soon, also would this be why the printers keep disconnecting? Repeatedly the printers disconnect and don't obviously print the orders, we have to reset them to solve, only happens with the terminals tough and not the registers!

Message 6 of 41
Admin

Best Answer

This is top priority for our team so we are actively working on getting a fix out as soon as possible.

With regards to the printers, would these be ethernet/WiFi printers @The_Sun_Inn? If they are, the network issue would definitely caused the printer to disconnect unfortunately.

If they are USB printers, can you try running through these troubleshooting steps

Tra
Message 7 of 41
Beta Member

Yes they are ethernet printers so that will explain it. Thanks 🙂

Message 8 of 41
Beta Member

I have been having connection issues for the past 4 weeks. I have 3 handheld terminals and 3 I-pads with stands. I've 2 receipt printers connected by ethernet. Several times during the day, the connection drops so receipts aren't printed. We can no longer set up tabs because the terminals don't sync. So on 1 terminal it could show a tab of £20 and on another the same tab could show as £5!! Often card payments won't go through. I've tried everything. I've had 3 BT engineers out to check the Broadband. No one can figure out what the problem is. So is it Square that is the problem??

Message 9 of 41
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Thj, sorry to hear you are running into this! We know that there are some issues with the Terminal connection to the internet. Since both of your printers are connected by ethernet, this might be caused by Square Terminals. 

If you tried all the troubleshooting steps outlined here and you are still experiencing issues with your Square Terminals, I suggest you contact our Support team directly so they can investigate and help get the diagnostic reports as well.

Emma
Message 10 of 41
Beta Member

Has this issue been fixed by Square yet?

Message 11 of 41
Admin

Hi @Thj, just stepping in for Emma here! From the last update, our team are currently testing a fix to see if it'll help resolve the issue fully. Once the fix is rolled out, I'll be sure to update this thread with more information from our team. This is a top priority from our team so I should be able to share some thing soon. 

For now, the troubleshooting steps should still help with the network issues as well. 

Tra
Message 12 of 41

I'll just jump in and say I've the same issue. Random restarts during mid service. Have tried hard resetting and the Troubleshooting steps mentioned above and pushed to devices last week, but it's made no difference. Open tickets struggle to synchronise, too. 

Desparate for a fix!

Message 13 of 41
Admin

Best Answer

Hi everyone, thank you for your patience while we look into this issue on our end! There should be a Critical Update available for your Terminal when you next turn it on. The update should help with the network issue everyone has been experiencing but let me know if you are still running into problems, I can definitely look into this further.

Tra
Message 14 of 41
Beta Member

Fingers crossed, 🙂

Message 15 of 41
Beta Member

Nope. It's still playing up. I don't know if the critical update has been installed as it didn't come up with that message when I turned the terminals off and then back on. And I don't know if it's updated automatically overnight. 

Message 16 of 41
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Thj

The update has been rolled out to all Square Terminals now. You should have the latest version 4.33.0085. To check this, please go to Settings > Hardware > General > Scroll down and select About Terminal. In case your Terminal is not yet updatedyou will see Update option. 

If you continue seeing an error message or experiencing any issue, please feel free to reply with more information and we'll have a look into it. 

Emma
Message 17 of 41
Admin

Hi @Thj, I'm just stepping in for Emma for a moment here. If all the Terminals have been updated to the latest version of 4.33.0085 and it's still disconnecting from the printers, would you mind trying the troubleshooting steps outlined here one more time

If the issue still persists, please do contact our Support team directly so they can investigate and help get the diagnostic reports as well.

Tra
Message 18 of 41
Beta Member

Hi @tranguyen / @Emma_  we are still having problems with the terminals restarting, we have tried all the troubleshooting steps and also factory reset two or three times. We have noticed that the restarts generally seem to happen when you try to 'Save Ticket' or close the 'Ticket' screen? In the settings there is an option ... Settings > Open Tickets > Open Tickets as Home Screen... regardless of this toggle being in either position the terminals always default to the tickets screen? Not sure if this is maybe somehow linked to the problem or not?

Message 19 of 41
Admin

Hi @The_Sun_Inn, sorry to hear this! It sounds like it might be a different issue but I want to be sure - is the Terminal not connecting to the internet or is it restarting every time you try to Save Ticket or close the Open Ticket screen?

With regards to the ticket screen being the default, do you have Square for Restaurant by any chance? If you do, the Terminal home screen will always default to the ticket list as it makes it easier to take table-side orders and access tickets from other devices that way.

Tra
Message 20 of 41
Beta Member

@tranguyen The terminal connects to the internet fine, it restarts not every time we save a ticket / close the ticket screen but very frequently, yesterday one of the terminals was restarting probably every other transaction? We do have Square for Restaurants yes so that explains the ticket screen.

Message 21 of 41