x
Beta Member

Tip Setting across multiple devices

I have one Square "location" with mutliple "devices." Each device has their own printer and attached cash drawer. 

My objective is to accept tips on one device and not accept tips on another device. In fact, this feature is one of the reasons we signed up for Square -- the ability to customize each device.

However, when I change the tip setting one on device, the other device(s) seems to adopt that setting after a nightly reset. 

Message 1 of 11
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

tips is an across the location setting, just like the layout of the items grid, that will sync to all devices signed in to a location.  

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Super Seller

Best Answer

tips is an across the location setting, just like the layout of the items grid, that will sync to all devices signed in to a location.  

Message 2 of 11

This is the main thing I'd like to see Square provide an update for. Since we need to use receipt tipping for our servers, we are forced to use receipt tipping at our counter-register. Even though we'd like our counter register to be on-screen tipping. We also have a retail shop inside our restaraunt and it is embarassing to hand over receipts with a tip option. We can't turn off tipping in the shop without turning it off for the entire restaraunt. 

Message 3 of 11
Beta Member

The only solution we found was to create two "locations". not ideal. 

Message 4 of 11

We have a similar situation. We use a tablet for our register at our bakery. We want to always prompt for a tip there.

We also have individual cell phones that we use to accept credit card sales at events, and we don't want it to prompt for tips on the cell phones, because it ends up taking too much time!

Is there any way to solve this?

Message 5 of 11
Admin

Thanks for your post @Kth!

At this time tipping settings are location specific; so all devices signed in to the same location have the same tipping settings. This means that the only workaround is to create a separate location and then sign in to that location - in your case you'd sign in to that separate locations on your cell phones. But I can absolutely appreciate that you might not want to create a separate location. 😞

If we have any updates on this feature request we'll let you know here. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 6 of 11
Beta Member

Has there been any update on this? We only need tipping on at one device. It's really frustrating when the settings sync and start asking for tips where we don't want them to. Have you made any progress on this? Are there workarounds? Would Square for Restaurants be any better?

Message 7 of 11
Beta Member

Any updates on this?

Message 8 of 11

I want to change the word tipping to donating. How can I do that?

Message 9 of 11

I don't want the setting to say tipping. I want it to say donating.

Message 10 of 11
Square Community Moderator

Hey there, @Sister65

At this time, it wouldn't be possible to change the title from "tipping" to "donating". Being able to round up for donations, specifically, would be a feature request. 

Here is the ongoing thread other sellers have discussed this request. It's not on the roadmap set by our Product Team, but I would recommend adding your voice to the thread with a like or comment. 

Thank you!

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 11 of 11