x
Admin

Troubleshooting steps for the Square Card Reader

If you’re unable to pair your contactless and chip and pin card reader to your phone or tablet the steps in this post should help to get back up and running in no time. 

Troubleshooting steps for the Square Reader

First, you'll want to double check that you are using a compatible device, that your reader is fully charged, that Bluetooth is turned on (check your mobile device settings), and make sure you have a strong internet connection.

If you are using iPhone or iPad on iOS 13 and above, make sure Bluetooth permissions for the Square app is enabled in Settings > Privacy > Bluetooth.

If you're still not able to pair the reader, run through the troubleshooting steps here: My Reader won’t pair with my device.

If you see the message that your reader has disconnected from your device try the troubleshooting steps here: My reader keeps disconnecting.

Pairing your reader to a new device for the first time? 

Keep in mind, if you are pairing the reader to a new device you must first have your reader ‘forget’ it’s connection to your mobile phone or tablet. To do this:

1. Open the Square app > Tap the three horizontal lines in the top-left corner.
  2. Tap Settings > Card Readers
  3. Select your connected reader > Forget This Reader

Alternatively, you can reset the reader to disconnect it from your device. To reset your reader:

1. While the reader is charging, use a small object like a hair grip, pen lid or paper clip to firmly press and hold the button on the reader for 20 seconds, or after the 4 lights stop blinking red. Do not let go of the power button until after the red lights have stopped flashing. Press the button again to turn the reader on, observe any lights on the reader.
  2. If the reader lights don’t turn green, firmly press and hold the reader’s button for a full 20 seconds. Do not let go of the power button until after the red lights have stopped flashing.
  3. Follow these steps to pair the reader to your device.

What to do if you see the message 'Developer options are not supported'

If you see the message that Developer options are not supported, please turn off the developer options within your device before running through the troubleshooting steps. To turn off developer options:

1. Navigate to Settings section of your device > Developer Options
  2. Toggle Developer Options off.

If you can’t see the Developer Options menu:

1. Tap About Device
  2. Tap Build Number 7 times > you will see a prompt on the screen indicating developer options are enabled
  3. Tap the back arrow to navigate back to Settings
  4. Tap Developer Options > toggle Developer Options OFF.

If you are using a Huawei device, you can also try:

1. Go to the Settings of your Huawei device
  2. Tap on More Settings
  3. Disable the button Allow Hisuite to use HDB.

What to do if you see the message that the reader is permanently damaged:

If you see the message that your reader is permanently damaged, that means it is no longer working correctly due to a failsafe that was put in place to ensure the security of your reader. The best course of action is to file a warranty claim for your Square Reader in the Square Shop Square Reader is covered by a limited one year warranty

I hope these steps are helpful. Reply below if you have any questions or if you have any troubleshooting tips of your own to share.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 1 of 9
Report Inappropriate Content
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

These troubleshooting steps for the Square Card Reader should help you get back up and running. 

You can also watch this video to learn more about using the Square Card reader and how to take contactless and chip and PIN payments.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Admin

Best Answer

These troubleshooting steps for the Square Card Reader should help you get back up and running. 

You can also watch this video to learn more about using the Square Card reader and how to take contactless and chip and PIN payments.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 2 of 9
Beta Member

Unfortunately, both my primary and backup card readers failed within days of each other last week. I have had to order two replacement readers, but what can I do with the ones that failed? Do you have a program to refurbish them, or to recover/recycle components to avoid e-waste?

Message 3 of 9
Admin

Hi @the-refill-lady, thanks for reaching out! If you have ordered your replacement, it'll come with a free return label which you can use to send the faulty reader back to us. That way, our team can look into the reason why the readers failed so we can improve our products. 

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 4 of 9
Beta Member

They are more than one year old so no longer covered by warranty and I just ordered new ones, so there is no return label included. If you want to send me one to return them both, I’ll be happy to let you dispose of them...

Message 5 of 9
Admin

Thanks for letting me know! Let me check in with our team here and see what will be the best way to get the readers sent back to our warehouse. 

Tra
Message 6 of 9

Hi Helen

We have followed all steps advised above (every single step!) and still cannot action contactless £100 limit.

Please advise.

Message 7 of 9

When I try to use my card reader I get the message about Developer Options not being supported. 

I have read the above

What to do if you see the message 'Developer options are not supported'

If you see the message that Developer options are not supported, please turn off the developer options within your device before running through the troubleshooting steps. To turn off developer options:

1. Navigate to Settings section of your device > Developer Options
  2. Toggle Developer Options off.

If you can’t see the Developer Options menu:

1. Tap About Device
  2. Tap Build Number 7 times > you will see a prompt on the screen indicating developer options are enabled
  3. Tap the back arrow to navigate back to Settings
  4. Tap Developer Options > toggle Developer Options OFF.

but nothing applies to my device.  Can you tell me where I'm meant to find the device settings, I've looked under settings and the hardware but there is no mention of developer options or the build number.

Can you tell me how to turn the developer options off.

Message 8 of 9
Admin

Sorry this was missed @Sharkfighter

You should see a gear icon on your home screen or within the drop-down menu of your mobile device. That is your Settings and you'll be able to follow the steps above.

If you can let me know the exact model you're using, I can take a further look and see how best to get the developers option turn off as well. 

Tra
Message 9 of 9