x

Feature Request: Square Reader for magstripe with a USB-C connector

Beta Member

Feature Request: Square Reader for magstripe with a USB-C connector

The title of this post has been edited from the original: USB Type C and Square App Accessories Support

It's time for Square to really look into this problem. As of now, the Android Square app does not support Bluetooth accessories. At the same time, it requires USB OTG. And that brings a problem -- the smartphone industry is migrating to USB Type C, and by doing that almost all smartphones/tablets that I know of drop USB OTG support. I've used the Nexus 6P, Pixel XL, Pixel 2 XL and the Pixel C. All of them use USB Type C. When I use the Square app on them, I cannot use any Square supported USB barcode scanners, and printers. And, NO, it did not work even when I bought one of those USB-C Hub that claims OTG support. I've tried a dozen of them. I think in a year or so, none of the mid to upper end Android devices will not be able to support any USB accessories through the Square app. In 2 years, I bet virtually none of them, even on the lower end, would allow us to plug even a barcode scanner to it.

I mean, people working for Square, think about this: in 2 years, NO new Android devices out there will be able to use barcode scanner with your Point of Sale app. Are you kidding me? A POS system that doesn't support barcode scanning? So, you are expecting me to type UPC in, one by one?

2 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: How to swipe card without a plug in reader?

Hey @bbrewer - I've moved your post to this thread so that we can continue to track requests for a Square Reader for magstripe with USB-C compatibility. There are a couple of ways that you could accept payments from cards without a chip:

• You can manually enter the card information into the Square Point of Sale app, or by processing the payment using your Virtual Terminal on the Dashboard.
  • As @Kassi_ suggested, you could try purchasing a USB-C compatible dongle to connect a magstripe reader to your device.
Verified Answer

Re: I have a newer Andriod it only has a USB-C connection how would i use the square?

I'm sorry for the trouble @unioncarpgirl! If you received the wrong reader you can return your reader online.

Keep in mind the new magstripe reader with Lightning connector can only be used with iPhones. There isn't a reader with a USB-C connector. But as @VanKalkerFarms mentioned you could use the Contactless and Chip Card reader instead because that reader pairs to your device over Bluetooth LE. 

And finally, just to let you know, the readers are universal and can be used with any Square account.

82 Comments
Super Seller Alumni

Square Phone app at this time doesn't suport barcode scanners Android or Apple.  Barcode Scanners and cash drawers are only supported on the Tablet version.

Square Community Moderator

That's an interesting and alarming point @toyssamurai

I don't have any specific information around USB Type-C, as the only USB setup that Square supports at this time is USB OTG/Host mode, as you mentioned earlier. 

We've got a bit of time before this happens, so hopefully we can get a solution out to all of our Android sellers before then. 

I'll pass this along to our Android Dev team and if any information surfaces around future product updates that I'm able to share publicly, I'll chime back in and update you 👍🏼

I have a newer Andriod that only has a USB-C connection how do i use the square? can i use the aux adaptor?

Super Seller

what do you mean by aux adapter?  is it a USB-C to 3.5 mm female headphone jack?  if so you should be able to use it.  Apple makes a similar one for lightning to 3.5mm.

you can also use the contactless reader that connects via Bluetooth.  that reader can read tap and dip but not swipe.

I HAVE RECEIVED THE SQUARE READER TODAY ONLY TO REALIZE I ORDERED THE WRONG ONE.  CAN IT BE SENT BACK FOR CORRECT ONE? ITS NOY BEEN ISED OR LINKED TO ANY BANK ACCT AS OF YET ? If so please tell me what to do.  Thanks

Admin

I'm sorry for the trouble @unioncarpgirl! If you received the wrong reader you can return your reader online.

Keep in mind the new magstripe reader with Lightning connector can only be used with iPhones. There isn't a reader with a USB-C connector. But as @VanKalkerFarms mentioned you could use the Contactless and Chip Card reader instead because that reader pairs to your device over Bluetooth LE. 

And finally, just to let you know, the readers are universal and can be used with any Square account.

So no usb type C headphone jack adapter will work with any Square reader on my smart phone, is that correct?

Or is has the Square reader now have a usb type C connector version?

It's 2019 you have this already right?

Alumni

Hey @Garrickq - We don't currently have USB Type-C connector for our readers at this time. An adapter may work, but we haven't had any official testing done with this so I'm unable to say it will work for sure. We do have our Contactless + Chip Reader which connects via Bluetooth, if that's something that you're interested in.

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Do square makes a reader for the Pixel 3?

Recently switched to the Pixel 3 which does not have a standard plug in jack, does Square make a comparable reader?

Super Seller Alumni

You can use a reader with the usb to headphone jack adapter That came with the phone.