Unable to change my EIN

I've tried many times over several days to change my EIN after changing my business structure from a sole proprietorship to an LLC.  I have checked, double checked, and triple checked the information is correct.  I always get this error:

"The name and TIN you provided do not match what is on file with the IRS. Please verify the information you are providing matches exactly what is on file with the IRS."
Sometimes repeated efforts result in this error instead: 
"We are currently unable to contact the IRS to validate the name and TIN you provided. Please try again at a later time."
Online on the forums it says that the first error just means they couldn't communicate with the IRS.  A thought backed up by the second error I sometimes see.  I'm just wondering how to ever do this?  I try again later, day after day on multiple times of day.  Is there a human who can help me address this?  
It's distressing how hard it is even to find human support.  I'm not sure if this email will even go anywhere, I didn't find it on square's website.  You guys get thousands and thousands of dollars from me annually, some support would be appreciated. 
Message 1 of 2

Re: Unable to change my EIN

Hey @doorstepvet, really sorry for the frustration. The IRS sometimes experiences downtime and when that happens Square can't connect to the IRS to update your information. Usually this the downtime only lasts a few hours and you'll see a yellow banner in the Dashboard to let you know there's an issue.


If you don't see the yellow banner but you see the other error that the details your entering don't match what's on file with the IRS, these troubleshooting tips usually help:

  1. If you have a sole proprietorship, try entering your legal name. Sole proprietorships are generally under the owner’s name vs. the business name. Or, if you recently married, try entering your maiden name.
  2. Enter your legal name instead of your business name. Please note that a Doing Business As or DBA is not a filing recognized by the IRS. Be sure to enter your full legal name, e.g., John D. Smith DBA “John Smith Enterprises” should be entered as “John D. Smith.”
  3. Verify that you are entering information issued by a federal agency such as the IRS or SSA (Social Security Administration) and not a state agency.

I've also asked our CS team to email you with instructions to call our CS team so you can call and speak to a team member about this. Phone support is available Monday through Friday, 6am to 6pm PT and we're here to help. 


I'm sorry again that you've been caught in this loop! If you have any other questions or need help calling in reply here to let me know.

Message 2 of 2