x

Visa and AMEX gift cards keep getting declined

Suddenly my credit cards are being declined.  This has happened to both Visa and Amex cards (two different transactions/customers)   Did something change

Message 1 of 9
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

99% of card declines come from the bank or credit card company that issued the card. Your customer would have to call and see why it was declined. 

Nothing has changed and Square still accepts all major credit cards. 

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Super Seller

Best Answer

99% of card declines come from the bank or credit card company that issued the card. Your customer would have to call and see why it was declined. 

Nothing has changed and Square still accepts all major credit cards. 

Message 2 of 9
Super Seller Alumni

Tis the season for Gift Card Fraud.  There is probably a reason they are declined.

Message 3 of 9

I ran a Corporate Amex card that is in good standing and it declined. Why is this?

Message 4 of 9
Alumni

Hey @Deets - Did your customer check in with their bank to make sure that they didn't block the charges? If so, I recommend reaching out to our CS team and they'll be able to take a look at your account for you.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 5 of 9

I have taken previous transactions manually from client in recent past. All of a sudden we have tried 5 different credit credit cards. All are declined. Some are same as first transactions. 

Any ideas?

Message 6 of 9
Square Community Moderator

Hey there @denise4clean -

Welcome to the Community and congrats on your first post! I moved your post to a thread with a similar topic. There are some helpful steps to seeing more information on declined payments too. 

Whenever a card is decline a majority of the time it's the bank that cancelled the payment. In some cases, they will provide a reason for the decline, but mostly it will be a generic decline. Once the card has been declined, the customer will need to use another source of payment. 

If you want get more information on the declined payments, you should reach out to our Customer Success Team directly. They would be able to shed a little light on this. 

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 7 of 9

Problem with the pre-paid credit cards and a lot of debit cards being declined excessively for last week.

In general we just get a few a day but we’re getting mostly is prepaid cards. Of course when a customer says they have money it’s not up to us it’s up to the institution but they’ll even log into the bank and show us that they clearly have money and there’s no lock on the account. 

Is anyone else seeing this? I just spent a half hour going to Square’s support site and found no way to submit a trouble ticket whatsoever. It’s getting to next to impossible to be able to contact them. 

Message 8 of 9
Admin

@SFL They may need to contact their bank/the company that issued the card like the suggestions on this thread show

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 9 of 9