x

What are the troubleshooting steps for the Contactless and Chip Card Reader?

For the past few months my contactless chip reader won't process payment. It connects to my Note5, but when I press the charge amount and the reader green light goes on, it won't accept the payment. I leave the chip card in the reader for a while then a red light goes on and the phone says need to re-connect the reader. But the app says the reader is connected when I go back to the register screen. I'm thinking something is wrong with the reader but nowhere does it show there is an error. Very frustrating! 

Message 1 of 201
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Anyone else having the chip reader take a long time to connect?

Hey @hairninja76, I'm sorry your reader is taking longer than usual to connect - that sounds pretty frustrating! These pairing troubleshooting steps usually help. It's also important that your phone's software is up to date, and the Point of Sale app is up to date too! 

If those troubleshooting steps don't resolve this issue for you, please don't hesitate to call our team who can take a closer look. 

1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

That's no good!

We have an article that outlines some of the best troubleshooting tips for Contactless reader trouble: Square Contactless and Chip Card Reader Troubleshooting

Try these steps below to get your reader up and running: 

1. Force quit the Square app and reopen it.
  2. Delete and reinstall the Square app. Note: If you’ve recently accepted payments while in Offline Mode and haven’t uploaded them, don’t delete and reinstall the app or you’ll lose these transactions. Connect your mobile device to the Internet to complete these payments before deleting the app.
  3. Turn your mobile device off and back on.
  4. If the reader and device are more than 10ft apart, the reader will have trouble maintaining a consistent connection. Move your reader and device closer when in use.

If these tips don’t solve the trouble, force shutdown your reader:

1. Plug in the reader for at least 20 minutes to be sure it’s charged.
  2. While the reader is charging, use a bobby pin, pen cap, or paper clip to firmly press and hold the button on the reader for 20 seconds.
  3. After 20 seconds, release the button and wait 10 seconds.
  4. Press the button again to turn the reader on and observe any lights on the reader.

If the reader lights turn on, you’re all set. If the lights don’t turn on, please try again and make sure to firmly press and hold the reader’s button for a full 20 seconds.

If that doesn’t do the trick, you can submit a warranty claim to receive a replacement.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 201
200 REPLIES 200
Alumni

Hi @Hopewell - we chatted earlier today over social media, I'm sorry you are still having trouble pairing your Contactless + Chip Card reader.

Thanks for making your first post here on the community, I moved your post to this thread where other sellers have shared tips for connecting this reader. Make sure to go through the troubleshooting steps for the Contactless + Chip Card reader that @Kelly shared in this thread.

If you still need help, please do contact our Support Team by phone. 

Message 85 of 201

Chip reader suddenly stopped working. Have rebooted and tried several times. Android system. Please advise

Message 86 of 201
Alumni

Hi @kendonaldson - I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble with the Contactless + Chip Card reader. I moved your post to this thread - check @Kelly's answer on the first page for troubleshooting steps. 

If you need more help, please contact our Support Team by email or phone. 

Message 87 of 201

My Contactless- Chip reader takes nothing short of major ordeal to get it to be seen by my phone app. I have to go into my bluetooth on my S7 and unpair the reader, then go in to the app and tell the app to forget the reader, THEN, I have re-pair the unit at least 3 times to get the app to see the reader. Needless to say I have a customer tapping their foot wanting to just "pay and get the heck outta here" so I end up hand enetering their card, (which COSTS ME more money), so I can get them on their way. Any thoughts on what to do or do I have a junk reader? (It charges and works fine, WHEN IT WORKS)

Message 88 of 201
Alumni

@AallynnP - I'm really sorry no one's followed up with you yet. 

I merged your post to this thread, please take a look at the first page and work through the troubleshooting steps to get your Contactless + Chip Card reader up and running. 

If you need more help, please send us an email or give us a call

Message 89 of 201
Beta Member

Chip reader was working great, but the other day it stopped connecting to the app. Under hardware setup it was listed as unavailable even though chip reader was fully charged and initially connected through Bluetooth. I tried to reconnect, but the orange lights that signal the device is in pairing mode never appear. I'll hold the button down for about 10 seconds and red lights will flash, or I'll quickly press the button and green lights will flash. But it doesn't seem like my device is getting back into pairing mode. 

Software is up to date, tried turning on and turning off again. Any other suggestions?

Message 90 of 201
Admin

Hello @FieldandFlorist, sorry to hear about your reader! 

I've moved your post to this thread, check out Kelly's Best Answer on the first page for additional troubleshooting steps that should (hopefully) get your reader to connect with your device.

If you're still not able to connect your reader though you can start a warranty claim and get a new one. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 91 of 201

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: “Can't believe how much of a pain trting to contact chip reader to phone. It's Bluetooth, right.” 

Tried for 2 days, no luck. Support closed on weekend 

Message 92 of 201

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: “Why isn’t my chip reader connecting?” 

My contactless chip reader will not connect with my iPhone. I have deleted the app and reinstalled it. I have my Bluetooth on, wireless connection is full bars. It worked yesterday around 4, and has not worked since. 

Message 93 of 201

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: “not sure how to pair”. 

its sent up on my phone but not sure how to pair with my mac and i dont want to keep going into it and make a mistake should i just do all payments on my phone? 

Message 94 of 201
Super Seller Alumni

As long as you have the Square Point of Sale app and are logged in with the same email and password you created the Square account with you are good. You don't Pair anything with your computer.  If you are using the Contactless chip reader it should only be paired with your phone it will not work on a computer.

Message 95 of 201

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: “4 solid red lights when chip reader pairs”. 

my chip read has 4 solid red  lights when chip reader pairs to phone and does not read cards

Message 96 of 201
Super Seller Alumni

4 red lights mean it failed to pair. Help Page Link.  What phone are you pairing too?  Make sure it is compatible. There have also been some issues with Samsung phones after the last update.

Message 97 of 201

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: “I can”t get blinking orange lights, only red.”. The original author has been notified via email.

I am having trouble connecting my reader to my iPad. Both have all current updates (OS11). When I press and hold the button, nothing happens for several seconds, and then it goes straight to flashing red lights- no orange lights. Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution?

Message 98 of 201
Alumni

Hi @BethanyR - Sorry to hear about the trouble. Have you already tried our troubleshooting steps? If those don't work, reach out to our Support team directly and they can advise you on any next steps.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 99 of 201

Thanks, Puka. Last night I charged it overnight and then reset it with it plugged in, and finally got the orange lights!

Message 100 of 201

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: “My contactless and chip reader is no longer working. Can I return it and get another one?”. The original author has been notified via email.

My contactless and chip reader is no longer working. Can I return it and get another one?

Message 101 of 201
Super Seller Alumni

Here is the Warranty information on Square Hardware.  There is a link to exchange it if it is still under warranty.

Message 102 of 201
Alumni

Hi @alraoof

I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble with your Contactless + Chip Card reader. @RHatch gave you the correct information to process a return or request a warranty on your Contactless + Chip Card reader. Before doing this, please make sure to work through the troubleshooting steps for this reader. Problems with the Contactless + Chip Card reader can most often be solved with these steps. 

Message 103 of 201

My chip reader will not connect. I have had trouble since I bought it. It's been about 45 days or less since I have owned it. I have Uninstalled and installed it back. Still will not connect

Message 104 of 201
Super Seller Alumni

What phone or tablet are you trying to connect too?

Message 105 of 201