x

What does the "Invalid location" error mean? Is it because I'm outside the US?

I am traveling out of the US. I need to key in a sale but it is erroring out saying "invalid location"
Is this because I am out of the US or because the zip code is invalid?

Message 1 of 76
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Great question. You are only permitted to accept payments within your country of activation so if you created your account in the U.S., you will need to be physically located in the U.S. To process payments. 

You can run the sale when you're back on U.S. soil, or have someone back in the states manually enter it for you.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 76
75 REPLIES 75
Alumni

Best Answer

Great question. You are only permitted to accept payments within your country of activation so if you created your account in the U.S., you will need to be physically located in the U.S. To process payments. 

You can run the sale when you're back on U.S. soil, or have someone back in the states manually enter it for you.

Message 2 of 76

Same thing happened to me. My business is in a valid location but I am traveling and got this error. Disappointed!

Message 3 of 76
Alumni

Sorry for the trouble. Our agreements with the card networks stipulate that transactions take place in locations where we support payments processing.

Message 4 of 76

I appreciate knowing this & feared that was the case. Any recommendations for a similar processing company that I can use outside of the US, or, can I use a dofferent email, same bank & open a different square account?  Thanks!

Message 5 of 76
Square

@MOM - Outside of manually entering card details when you return to your country of activation, I don't have any other recommendations. So sorry for the inconvenience. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 6 of 76

What dignifies a location that is supported? I am located in the US, set up my account in the US, and I'm still getting this error no matter what I try. I am in a valid US location.

Message 7 of 76
Admin

Hi @cvar1212, sorry to hear about the trouble you've been encountering. As long as you're in the 50 United States, you should be able to process payments with no issues. I've escalated your post to our Support Team — someone will reach out directly to have a closer look into this issue as soon as possible.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 8 of 76

We are having the same issue. In the United States, was working yesterday; suddenly today, we get the invalid location error.

Message 9 of 76

Oh no @KernMedical

I hope you're up and running already, but if not have you tried deleting and re-installing the app? Also do you use a VPN? 

I'll keep an eye out for your reply. 👀

Message 10 of 76

The same thing happened to me and they asked for a video of me trying to complete a transaction. So I sent it and after an entire week of not having POS, they came back and told me it was a problem with Apple. Not square. I’m very upset. I’m 45 minutes north of Houston and if the gentleman I’m dealing with asks me one more time how close I am to Mexican border, I’m going to lose it. ITS BEEN ONE WHOLE WEEK. Today makes 8 days and last night they pushed it off on Apple. All of my other Apple everything knows exactly where I am. I’m really upset.

Message 11 of 76
Admin

@moonvine I'm really sorry for the frustration this has caused - this sounds very strange. I took a look and I see that you are already working with our CS team, and they'll continue to work with you until this is resolved. Thanks for flagging this to the team - and for your patience while we work to fix it for you.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 12 of 76

I am having this problem as a seller as well - I’ve tried replacing the reader but that didn’t help. I get “Declined - Invalid Location” error for lots of customers in a row. Very frustrating for me and embarrassing for them. 

Message 13 of 76
Square Community Moderator

Hey @MatterhornMini , thanks for posting on the Seller Community, I see it's your first post, welcome 👋

Not sure if you've had a moment to check out the best answer in this thread, but in general, you're only able to process and collect payments within the country where your Square account is activated. 

Message 14 of 76

Thanks for taking time to reply.

Of course… except I’ve never left the country to use square… and 99% of my customers are using cards issued in the same country. And it’s happening on most transactions. 

hence, the conundrum. 

Message 15 of 76
Alumni

Okay, this sounds like an issue that needs to be escalated to our Payments Team. You try calling Customer Support yet? 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 16 of 76

I live and my business is in the virgin islands in St. Croix USVI

Message 17 of 76

I'm getting the same error message and I, too am located within the US. I called square support and they were unable to help. What gives???

Message 18 of 76
Admin

@Hilda If the support team wasn't able to resolve this with you when you called the issue might be specific to your device. The manufacturer (e.g. Samsung/Apple) should be able to investigate if any location settings on your device are causing this and fix this for you.

If you're still having trouble after contacting the manufacturer do give us another call! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 19 of 76

Hilda, what did you end up doing?

Message 20 of 76

You have got to be **bleep**t'n me.  I have just moved to Thailand 6 wks ago where I am living for 9 mo out of the year.  Three months back in the US to work my tax business  (late Jan - April), then back to Thailand.  How am I supposed to process the CC's of my clients who pay late or who are on extension!  Please let me know as it is critical to my business.  Is there a way to re-activate in Thailand and then re-activate again when I'm in the US?

Message 21 of 76