x

What does the "Invalid location" error mean? Is it because I'm outside the US?

I am traveling out of the US. I need to key in a sale but it is erroring out saying "invalid location"
Is this because I am out of the US or because the zip code is invalid?

Message 1 of 76
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Great question. You are only permitted to accept payments within your country of activation so if you created your account in the U.S., you will need to be physically located in the U.S. To process payments. 

You can run the sale when you're back on U.S. soil, or have someone back in the states manually enter it for you.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 76
75 REPLIES 75
Square Community Moderator

@DrPhibes Unfortunately you cannot process card payments outside of the country that you activated your Square Account in. 

In regards to re-activating in Thailand, we currently only support card processing in the US, JP, CA, and AU. 

You might need to have a business partner who is located in the US help with the customers who pay late.

Message 22 of 76

I agree! I am now in Canada - I bought the chip reader just for a conference in Canada - I had no idea.

Message 23 of 76

Hey, did you end up finding a different system that processed US credit cards while you were in Thailand? 

Message 24 of 76

Just create and send your customers an invoice on the square website. They will receive a link from where they can pay. Easy as that, no location issues. 

Message 25 of 76

Did you ever find a solution for this?

Message 26 of 76

Hey there @ckingsley are you experiencing the same issue? If so can you provide a screenshot of the error message? 

Message 27 of 76

how can i accept a credit card payment from an international credit card while outside the usa and without having the square card reader?

Message 28 of 76
Square

@bobwyre007 - It looks like we answered a similar question in this thread. Check it out for more details. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 29 of 76

I am glad to finally find an answer for this, but this defeats the purpose of being able to take my business with me wherever I go, so sad. Hopefully there will be some adjustment to this in the future. For now, I will take your advice and have someone run the transaction from home.

Message 30 of 76

I’m currently in Puerto Rico and trying to process some payments. I’ve done it in the past. Though Puerto Rico is not a US state, it is a commonwealth. It’s very inconvenient that I can no longer process payments when I’m here. Will any changes be made to that?

Message 31 of 76

@Atabeira Square is not available for payment processing in Puerto Rico and we can't say if it ever will be.

Please check out our International page for countries that are compatible.

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 32 of 76

Only way it works is to use a Geo Spoofer - a mod that spoofs your geographical location... But you didn't hear that from me 😉

I made various comments on this in the past, please read them and decide for yourself. It still is a free country.

Message 33 of 76

How can I charge my Square if I am n another country. It says invalid location.

Message 34 of 76

I'm having same problem.  I tried using a vpn in the USA but it still says 'invalid location'.  Anyone know how to get around this?

Message 35 of 76
Square

@DA - Please see George's response above. Thanks! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 36 of 76

I am a Washington state based business but I am currently in Canada. I am trying to process a payment from a client on an outstanding past due balance but it is not allowing me to do so.

I encountered this issue before in march when I was traveling in Canada.

Why can I not process my customers payments simply because I am in Canada at the time I recieve the authorization to do so.

Message 37 of 76

i'm a USA resident but in Canada  and can't get my square to accept a credit card (Canadian account) either swipe or manual.  What's needed? 

Message 38 of 76

Declined error

payment not approved

invalid location

we are a US vendor in Vancouver, Canada

it worked the first time and now we keep getting that error

any one else run into this problem?

talk soon

Message 39 of 76

I cant even sign in as the phone on my account is not the one I use here   help!

Message 40 of 76
Square

@johanna Check out George's answer above for more info. 

Message 41 of 76

Getting 'delcined invalid location' message. Currently in Canada

Message 42 of 76