x

What to do when customer's card is declined?

Card on file declined then declined when swiped. Advised customer to call their card support and verify/authorize me. Customer said that is not possible because it is a card issued by employer. 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Admin

@DPS -Do you know if the card has any of the following logos: VisaMasterCardAmerican ExpressDiscoverJCB, or UnionPay ?

It sounds like a prepaid card, but you shouldn't have a problem running it through if it does have one of the above logos. The only other thing I can think of is if the card doesn't have sufficient funds on it to cover the charge.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 2 of 9

The card is known to be a fully functional card and used often for traveling and other business expenses and swipes with other square accounts.

Square support suspects the card is limited swipe transactions only which is why CARD OF FILE was declined. And because of that decline it is blocking my swipes too. 

Message 3 of 9
Admin

@DPS Thanks for the reply. We can't see the exact reasoning for the decline through the Seller Community. But if you reach out to our Customer Success Team, they'll be able to take a look at the payments and see exactly what's going on.

Bea_
Join the Beta Community
Message 4 of 9

Customer Success Team advised they are able to see the declined transactions. Unfortunately they are not able to see the reason for the declines.

Message 5 of 9
Admin

@DPS Thanks for at least reaching out to our Support Team. If they weren't able to give you more information, you might need to ask the customer to pay with another card or in cash.

I know you mentioned that the card was issued by their employer. Maybe before asking your customer for a different method of payment, they could see if their employer can get some more information on the card from the card issuing company?

Bea_
Join the Beta Community
Message 6 of 9

The client plans to forward a message that includes information about the reason for the decline.

For now we setup a different card for the client so we can charge to card on file with the employer email in the customer setup. 

Message 7 of 9
Beta Member

Credit card # is correct, info is correct. Card keeps declining?

Kara Wilhoit
Message 8 of 9
Square Community Moderator

Hey @TrailSuitesInn,

I moved your post to an existing thread on cards declining.

We really can't see into why a card is declined unless it's just the billing zip or AVS code being entered wrong. 

Your customer should contact their bank to ask why it's declining. 

Feel free to search your questions in our Support Center too for a quicker response. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 9 of 9