x
Beta Member

Why is my customer getting an error message during checkout?

[The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Customer getting error message when trying to pay: Email Already Registered. How can I help them?]

Customer getting error message when trying to pay: Email Already Registered. How can I help them?

Message 1 of 88
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Customers Can't Checkout Because Email is already registered

We're sorry to hear about the issues coming up as a result of these error messages. I’ve bubbled this feedback up by sharing this thread with our engineers. We'll be back with an update when we have one to share. Thanks for your patience, all.

1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Sorry to see trouble has brought you to the Seller Community - let's dig in here, @lonelymonk.

Are your customers opting to save their information again, when they've already saved it previously? There is a check box during checkout - if they select this option by clicking to check the box when the've already set up Square Pay, they will see that error.

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 61 of 88
87 REPLIES 87
Admin

Hey @Kentucky74, thanks for your post! Did the customer by any chance already saved their information previously? Would you mind asking the customer if they ticked the Save my information for faster checkout next time before getting the error and if they untick that, are they able to complete the purchase? 

For context, anytime a customer checks out on the Square Online site, they have the option to Save my information for faster checkout next time. If they select that option, a profile is created with their email and phone number.

Once that's created, when they go to checkout in the future and enter the saved email address, they would receive a text verification code. They can choose to enter the code to load their saved shipping/billing information. Or if they skip and don't enter the code, they can proceed to checkout as normal. 

However, if they don't enter the verification code and click the option Save my information for faster checkout next time again, they usually get the error message that they've already registered. 

I hope that help to clarify the issue but do let me know if an error still persists!

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 43 of 88

Thanks for this feedback, I will pass this information on to my customer and see what she comes back with.

Stay Safe

Message 44 of 88

Please can someone help - a client send this to me? 

8E8362A6-5195-465E-AE93-92DCF3C25605.jpeg

Message 45 of 88
Admin

Hi @CharlotteDudley, thanks for sending on the screenshot! It looks like this customer has saved their information previously for a faster checkout. In this case, they'd usually get a SMS verification code to enter or they'd need to uncheck the box that say Save my info

If the customer is having trouble with both, they can also opt out of their previous saved information by clicking this link before trying to complete the purchase again. 

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 46 of 88

I have had several customers email me because they cannot check out because their email address and name are already on file so it won't permit them to checkout. How do we fix this? I have looked everywhere for a setting to adjust this, but the only thing I can find is to delete the customer, and then it works. I can't keep deleting customers over and over again so they can place new orders. 

Message 47 of 88
Alumni

Are they being prompted to sign into their customer profile or does the checkout screen allow them to continue as a guest? 

Not quite sure what issue you're running into. Is it possible to grab a screenshot so I can see the error and take to our Ecom Team? 

@vannenic

Justin
Message 48 of 88

068B1D8C-FCAF-49E2-BFFA-E6D31902DF95.jpeg

Message 49 of 88
Alumni

Thanks for that. 

So it sounds like the customer selected the option to save info but the email is already saved to a customer profile. Instead, they should login with that email instead of 'registering' it. @vannenic

Justin
Message 50 of 88

How do they login if my website doesn’t give an option to do so? How do I let them login? 

Message 51 of 88
Admin

@vannenic If your customers aren't able to enter an email address because it's already registered, they may have to select the 'forgot password' option and reset or use a different email address. Like Justin mentioned, their information is already in your system it's just a matter of them recalling their info. 

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 52 of 88

The only problem is my website through square doesn’t give them the option to login. At checkout it has them put in their info and that’s it. They don’t even choose a password when checking out on my site. 😔 I don’t know where to direct them to login to. 

Message 53 of 88
Admin

Okay. I think I understand what you're looking for @vannenic!

Right now we do not have a feature that allows sellers to login on your Square Online site. That's a feature request we're tracking here.

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 54 of 88
Beta Member

We have the same problem with our customers. I don't think Isablelle understands the problem. Our customer who have used our online ordering try to place an order then at the end when the input their email address it says that the email is already registered.  How to we prevent that from happening?  They never "logged in" to our website they are simply trying to check out and pay for their purchase but it won't let them complete the payment.

Message 55 of 88

Thank you! You understand what I’m trying to say 😂

Message 56 of 88
Admin

Hey @dbmanbread and @vannenic!

Is the customer trying to reregister somehow? 

Regardless, the fasted solution is to provide this to your customers. It will allow them to unlink/register their email address from Square Pay so they can start over the next time they go to your site, and will not receive that error. Please give our Support Team a call if this becomes a recurring issue. 

Feel free to circle back here with your findings 💫 Thank you and apologies for any confusion. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 57 of 88
Beta Member

Isabelle, just a moment ago a customer said that she tried to order online but when she put in her phone number it said she was already registered and would not let her order?  Why would it not let her order if she is already registered? That doesn't make sense, please advise.  Thanks

Message 58 of 88
Square Community Moderator

Hey @dbmanbread,

The phone number is just saved for quicker checkouts and they opt into that when they placed their first order. It'll send a text to their phone to use Square Pay to autofill their information.

If they're not receiving that text, they can unlink from Square Pay here. Tell them to make sure they don't check to save their card information for faster checkouts moving forward if they don't want to use Square Pay.

Ashley C
Message 59 of 88

This is a ridiculous bug that's been in Square for as long as I've had it (which is only since August 2020). It's insane to me that a customer checks out on my website, and then gets confusing errors for which neither they nor I can figure out why. "Email is already registered", but there is no obvious way to "unregister" it and there is no site registration, authentication, or login on my site. It's just a public commerce site with checkout. Then if they change their email it says "Phone number already registered". This has now cost me sales, which is complete BS. The fix, if YOU'RE LUCKY ENOUGH to have your customer actually call you to tell you they cannot finish the transaction, is to send them this link: https://checkout.square.site/stored-payment/opt-out    They click the link, enter their email, THEN they click the link they then get in their email, and then do the whole thing over again. It's completely absurd. I don't know how Square has allowed this to happen for this long without fixing it. It's pathetic. 

Message 60 of 88
Alumni

Best Answer

Sorry to see trouble has brought you to the Seller Community - let's dig in here, @lonelymonk.

Are your customers opting to save their information again, when they've already saved it previously? There is a check box during checkout - if they select this option by clicking to check the box when the've already set up Square Pay, they will see that error.

Valentina
Message 61 of 88

I have no idea if they are doing that. Your solution is non-obvious to the customer. They put in their email and phone, and as soon as Square recognizes it, it automatically sends them a verification text. Of course, they enter the code to verify. Once they do that, they cannot check out due to that error. The customer doesn't know that since their information is already saved, they shouldn't click "Save my information for a faster checkout". That option should disappear if clicking it will generate an error. This is basic user experience stuff. 

Message 62 of 88

This is not an adequate solution. I have had two helpdesk tickets explaining all the issues with screenshots and both have been closed with no resolution at all. It is an error that square need to sort out. It isn't a problem with our customers and the way they are using the shop.

Message 63 of 88