x

Why isn't my custom domain connecting? Something went wrong error?

[The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Custom Domain Not Connecting]

I am trying to connect a custom domain to my square store site. I have already changed my records in my DNS on GoDaddy using the documentation. When I go through the process to publish my site using the custom domain, I get an error message that says: "Something went wrong and we could not publish your store". It does not give any other details. 

It has only been 5 hours since I changed the records but last time I did it with another Weebly site it only took about 30 min. so I don't think the time is the issue.

Any ideas/tips to try?

Message 1 of 33
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Edit: I see what's happening. The domain is still assigned to a site in a regular Weebly account. You'll need to change the address of that website to something else to free it up first, and then set that as the address of your Square Online Store.

Adam
Seller Community, Platform

View Best Answer >

Message 6 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
Admin

Hey @Dgutierr01!

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community. Sorry to hear about the issues you're having connecting your custom domain.

Can you verify that you followed all the instructions in this article to connect your custom domain with your Square Online Store? 

Please note that DNS changes can take 24 - 48 hours to propagate in some cases, so it may take time for your site to start working.

Let me know if you continue to have this issue, and myself or @AdamB will follow up! Thanks again. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 2 of 33

Hi Isabelle!

I did refer to that article you linked as well as the go daddy specific walkthrough. I am still getting the message “something went wrong and we could not publish your store” @isabelle @AdamB 

Message 3 of 33
Admin

Thanks for the additional details. What domain name are you trying to use with your online store?

Adam
Message 4 of 33

Hey @AdamB the domain is Imperialsgarden.com

Message 5 of 33
Admin

Best Answer

Edit: I see what's happening. The domain is still assigned to a site in a regular Weebly account. You'll need to change the address of that website to something else to free it up first, and then set that as the address of your Square Online Store.

Adam
Message 6 of 33

@AdamB - That worked, thank you so much!

Message 7 of 33

"The domain is still assigned to a site in a regular Weebly account. You'll need to change the address of that website to something else to free it up first"

@AdamB Where can I make this change?!

Message 8 of 33
Admin

Visit Weebly.com and log in with the login information you used there, @helpfulperson, then do one of the following depending on which website editor you have:

1. If you have the classic Weebly editor with elements on the left you drag to the site, then open the site in the website editor, go to the Settings tab, click "Change" for the site address, then enter in a full Weebly subdomain (e.g. somesitename.weebly.com). An option will show to choose that for the site, so click that.

2. If you have the newer website editor, from the dashboard go to Website > General Settings and click the button to customize the site address. Choose the third option to use a Weebly subdomain.

Adam
Message 9 of 33

@AdamB I guess I have the newer editor and did exactly that multiple times but I get that same error message every time...

Is there another way to solve this?

Cheers,

Message 10 of 33
Admin

I checked your site and it looks like you were able to publish after posting, @helpfulperson. Did you still need help?

Adam
Message 11 of 33

@AdamB my G-domain takes 48 hours to propagate! 

I will let you know as soon as its done!

Cheers,

Message 12 of 33

@AdamB yeah its still not working as expected.. 

Initially, I have purchased the wrong domain and linked it with weebly.

So I purchased the correct domain and now I am trying to link that correct domain with my weebly account...

I think theres something cached in weebly's end to still point my store to the old domain...

Is there any help or is there a email I can write to the weebly's customer service?!

Cheers,

Message 13 of 33
Admin

What is the correct domain name you want to use? I'll take a look and see what might be happening. If you want to contact Weebly directly, log into your Weebly account, then visit the Weebly Support Site and click on the Contact Link on the bottom.

Adam
Message 14 of 33

@AdamB  The correct domain I want to use is arcanetactical.com.

Previously, I misspelled the domain...

Thank you,

Message 15 of 33
Admin

Thanks! Can you try again? I made a change which should help.

Adam
Message 16 of 33

@AdamB Dude you are the best!

Thanks!

Message 17 of 33
Admin

You're welcome! 🙂

Adam
Message 18 of 33

I’m having issues connecting my domain. It is hosted with squarespace could this be a similar issue and do you know how to correct it. 

my domain is StudioMarnie.ca

Message 19 of 33
Square Community Moderator

Welcome to the Seller Community, @StudioMarnie 👋 

I see the site is loading properly! Please let us know if you still need assistance, though. I'm happy to review the account once more for you. 

Message 20 of 33

Everything has been resolved thank you. 

Message 21 of 33