x

anyone else problems with iPad 5?

My magstripe reader works on my phone but not my new ipad5. Tried problem solving ALL morning with customer support here at Square and with Apple. No luck.

Message 1 of 6
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

@amyriceart Great to hear you were able to get it resolved. Protective cases and covers on your device can definitely cause issues with the plug-in readers. Removing a case or cover is one of the first troubleshooting steps we usually recommend. 

If you run into anything else, try checking out this existing thread: 

My magstripe reader is having trouble swiping cards, what can I do?

View Best Answer >

Message 6 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

That sounds strange. That's definitely a compatible device, so it should work for you. What was coming up when you tried to swipe a card?

At very minimum, you should receive a message that indicates the card was not read and to try again. 

Was this happening? 

Message 2 of 6

I did recieve such a message. The reader works in my phone and on my husband's ipad. I have an appointemnt at the apple store tomorrow so hopefully it will get figured out.

Message 3 of 6

@amyriceart Were you able to get everything taken care of?

Let me know if you're still having trouble and I can help out further if necessary. 

Message 4 of 6

Yes, thank you. My case was causing the reader to be not fully plugged in. Even though the app could tell it was in, it wasn't in enough apparently. 

Message 5 of 6

Best Answer

@amyriceart Great to hear you were able to get it resolved. Protective cases and covers on your device can definitely cause issues with the plug-in readers. Removing a case or cover is one of the first troubleshooting steps we usually recommend. 

If you run into anything else, try checking out this existing thread: 

My magstripe reader is having trouble swiping cards, what can I do?

Message 6 of 6