x

export CSV "unknown error"

I'm on the Transactions page and when I press [Export] | [Transactions CSV], the CSV that gets downloaded only has the words "Unknown Error" in it.

This is happening in two separate Square accounts.

Message 1 of 11
2 Best Answers

Best Answer

I'm sorry to see this has been going on at least overnight.  My bookkeeper is not going to be happy. 

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 11
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hello everyone! 

We experienced an intermittent outage in regards to CSV exports through the Online Dashboard - specifically in regards to transactions exports.

We can not confirm that this issue has been stabilized. We recommend trying another attempt at your previous CSV download.

If you continue to experience issues, we recommend reaching out to our Support Team directly. We apologize for the delay in service. Cheers! 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 5 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

I am having the same issue.  The last time I did this it worked well.  I've tried several times and tried to open with Microsoft Excel and Numbers with the same "unknown error" message.  When I export "Items detailed" it works, but it doesn't with "Transactions" or "Item Summary" which have the columns I need (Fees and Net Total)... or at least used to. 

Message 2 of 11

I am receiving the very same error.  Cannot find any resolution.

Message 3 of 11

Best Answer

I'm sorry to see this has been going on at least overnight.  My bookkeeper is not going to be happy. 

Message 4 of 11

Best Answer

Hello everyone! 

We experienced an intermittent outage in regards to CSV exports through the Online Dashboard - specifically in regards to transactions exports.

We can not confirm that this issue has been stabilized. We recommend trying another attempt at your previous CSV download.

If you continue to experience issues, we recommend reaching out to our Support Team directly. We apologize for the delay in service. Cheers! 

Joe
Message 5 of 11

I'm trying to export the transaction summary. I can download it fine, but every time it's opened, it just as the words "Unknown Error" in cell A1. I've tried opening it as xlsx, xlsb, with Numbers, with Google sheets, with text editor. They all show the same thing and none of the data. 

I can export the Item summary from the same dashboard no problem and all the data exports, but for some reason I can't get to the transaction summary. 

Is this a known bug or is there some way to fix this? I'd like to see the number of transactions I have per hour averaged over months, so I can see the customer demand by day by hour. Is there any other way to easily get at this data?

Message 6 of 11

Hi there, @dcb2  👋 Thanks for reaching out! 

I've merged your post into an existing thread regarding Sellers who were also encountering this issue with their CSV's. Take a look at this Best Answer for more info.

Joe
Message 7 of 11

Is anyone having problems downloading transaction report?  I just started getting "unknown error" when opening the file.

Message 8 of 11

Yes, indeed!  I've tried many, many, many times.  Tried using the chat feature to find out what's up but the response was that my question was "too complicated."  Seeing that I'm not the only one helps.  My computer is balky...thought it was just having trouble handling the data.  Will keep trying to generate the report.

Message 9 of 11

Hi there, @rebfree @ssimmonds 👋 I've gone ahead and merged your post into an existing thread of Sellers also experiencing this issue. Take a look at this Best Answer for more details. 

Joe
Message 10 of 11
Beta Member

For anyone still having issues, I am exporting a "Category Report" and getting "Unknown Error" in the CSV file with no data when I use Chrome. When I used Safari, the report worked fine. 

Message 11 of 11