x

how many of you out there with a defective chip reader?

i'm on my 2nd chip reader/magstipe thing and it doesn't work either.  both of the things would not read a swipe off a card that doesn't have a chip, and this one also didn't read the chip today... i've troubleshooted it til i'm blue in the face. none of the suggestions worked. and i can't try it in a different location because i only have one location and it's got to work there! very disappointed.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Alumni

Sorry for the trouble here! Issues with two readers in a row sounds frustrating.

If you've been through the tips and troubleshooting (https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5412-square-chip-card-reader-tips-and-troubleshooting) which is sounds like you have, you'll need to go through the warranty process (https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5148).

From there, we'll get you new hardware to get you back in business.

Message 2 of 13

I have had some trouble with chip reader, when I tried to use it, it said it was damaged and that I would have to use a different reader. I sent it back and somehow they sent me two replacements, I tried both of them and one said the same thing damaged, the other seems to be working fine. I've use it at two different events and it had no problems. I'm keeping my fingers crossed it stays that way. Not sure that this helped but maybe there's hope out there for all of us. 

Message 3 of 13

I bought a chip reader last year before the expensive "hover" reader came out. The new one will not read the chip on cards inserted. It says "enter the card number". I had to use my Paypal card that is only a magnetic strip reader. 

Message 4 of 13

I have had the same problem.  I don't always use the reader, so for me the 30 days passed before I used the reader.   The reader connects, but doesn't read the chips or magnetic strip.  I have done everything that has been suggested to resolve the issue other than get a new reader.  From what I've read, it won't make a difference if the readers are defective.  I'm very frustrated and feel ripped off. 

Message 5 of 13

Mine worked fine until a month or so ago when it stopped ready anything (strip or chip) I had to go back to my old reader which only reads strips, or type it in at the higher rate. Maybe that's the scam. Can't use the reader so type it in and they get the higher rate!

Message 6 of 13

Brand new to square and used it for first time at an off-location event.  Same story , but just purchased one reader, chip reader, and stand.   The chip reader worked but all cards requiring scan did not.  Had to manually type at higher rate.   Tested both before the event and both worked. 

Message 7 of 13

My chip/stripe reader works off and on. If I plug it in and the orange notification doesn't come up within a few seconds I have to charge it for a few minutes and try again. It usually works after charging. I've started plugging the reader into the wall charger after every transaction and it seems to work more.
Message 8 of 13
Square

Sorry to hear that ya'll are having trouble processing payments using your magstripe and chip reader. I definitely recommend checking out the troubleshooting steps that George linked to above.

It sounds like some of you were able to get some help from our Support Team, if you haven't yet and are still having trouble please check out this thread for instructions to get in touch with our Support Team. 

Message 9 of 13

I apparently have a defective chip reader too. Yesterday was our big fund raiser and I could not get the chip reader to work on my smart phone. (it has worked in the past.) I even went so far to install the software on another smart phone and nothing!. It reconized it was plugged into the phone but it would not read a chip or read any swipe, so I had to manually put in the users CC data costing our clug way more money than anticipated. I have read all the blogs and troubleshooting tips, and it appears to be the chip reader itself. Any help here would be appreciated.

Message 10 of 13
Square

@norac303 - So sorry to hear about the trouble, and kudos to going as far as trying on another device. It sounds like you really did your due diligence. If you can reach out directly, a supporter can help get a warranty exchange going, as well take a look at your options for helping cover the cost of fees you paid. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 11 of 13

Same thing here. Been open for business and already onto my third square reader. The last one didnt work at all! Ill take these two I have and maybe not get any more. They are great when working but too much time trying to replace them constantly!

Message 12 of 13
Square Community Moderator

Really sorry to hear this @shazz1!

Have you done any of the Chip Reader Troubleshooting yet? These usually resolve any issues the Contactless + Chip reader has and sometimes it has to do with the device you're using.

What device have you been trying to use it with? I want to make sure it's compatible. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 13 of 13