x

iPad Screen Separating from Base in Square Stand

Trying to find others who might be having this problem. I have Square set up at two different locations and have had Square for the last 2.5 years. About a year ago the iPad screen started to pull away from the base of the iPad along the top of the iPad. The system still works but I can't imagine it will for much longer. The fact that this has happened on two different Square stands in different locations can't be just a coincidence. It leads me to believe that there is something about the design of the Square Stand that is causing the screen on the iPad to buckle. Any Apple iPad warranty is long expired. And Square hasn't been helpful at all in helping me get to the bottom of this. Has anyone else had this problem??

Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35
Super Seller

My last square stand shipped with a small set screw that tethers the ipad to the stand through the headphone jack so that it can never fall out. I'm sure you could get one of those somewhere.

I have experienced what you are talking about (on more than 1 stand). But It never really seemed like a big deal. I told myself that I'd just use a piece of small clear tape in the corner if it ever posed a more serious problem... That being said... They all seem to fit snug enough, and it's never become an issue.

I've noticed that the inside surface of the stand (underneath the ipad) has a tacky rubber/silicone finish... I imagine that its purpose is to keep the ipad from sliding... Over time, it can collect debris, and dust which will make that finish less effective. If my ipad was sliding down, I might try and clean that surface (and the back of the ipad) to see if I couldn't get some of that tackiness back.

Hope this helps

Message 2 of 36

We are currently having the identical issue. No idea how or why. Help Apple!

Message 3 of 36

I had the same issue, didn’t think much about it until the chief of the fire department came in, took a look at it and said the battery had explodied, and told me it could be dangerous, and could even start a fire. I took my iPad to Apple yesterday, and they replaced the iPad with no problem. the battery had exploded. I just had to pay the cost of a new battery. They were great about it. I’m now trying to figure out a way to not keep the square constantly charging the battery. If anyone has any ideas, outside of removing the iPad every night, I’d like to know. Thanks. 

Message 4 of 36

Someone else mentioned using a power strip with a switch, so that it could be turned off at the end of the day. I think this might work, but now I have to replace a fairly expensive iPad, and train all of my employees to make sure that they flip the switch (in my case it will be under the counter in a cabinet) every single night. I am assuming that the new square POS for $900 won't have this same problem. I wish that Square would provide this vital bit of information to their community. So far, they have agreed to replace the stand, which is nice of them, but they made sure to tell me that it might be an installation problem on my end, as they have worked closely with Apple to develop their stand, and it is absolutely intended to work exactly as any other iPad accessory (and they used an after market case as an example) and that they have not seen this problem before, and can offer no solution that might keep it from happening again. No liability on their part, of course, but they could avoid the whole problem with a switch on the actual stand.

Message 5 of 36

The separation of the iPad screen has nothing to do with the Square. It is entirely an Apple problem. Shortly after I got a new iPad the Square introduced an all in one POS with a built in screen etc. wish I had known they were going this route. I would have converted to the new unit

Message 6 of 36
Super Seller

the iPad itself is what controls the charging and discharging of its battery via internal circuitry just like all modern electronics., the stand is nothing more than a power source and doesn't control anything to charge the iPad.  so yes, by unplugging the stand you are stopping the iPad from charging because you are unplugging the iPad.

now you can debate the stand and if it lets it get too hot.  From my experience with 3 iPads and Square Stands in a 75 to 100º plus greenhouse I have had 0 problems as long as Square Stands have existed and I leave the iPads in the Stands most days.  

Another thing is just the failure rate to consider in general for iPads vs the few reports of battery expansion.  Lithium Ion has roughly a 1 in a million failure rate (and higher for shoddy batteries like those in cheap hoverboards).  The glue that holds iPads together isn't that strong if you've ever tore one down.

I would suggest contacting Apple as they have a really good battery policy for ones showing expansion especially.

Message 7 of 36

I have kept a temperature probe on my iPad and square stand, and the temperature has always been at a reasonable level. I am comfortable saying that it isn't overheating, so that isn't the problem. I have seen many posts here and elsewhere about the battery swelling, and I agree -- it shouldn't under normal circumstances ever swell just because it is always plugged in. I agree that it is most likely a faulty battery. I am concerned, however, that there are so many complaints about this happening in the Square stand/Ipad configuration. It isn't just a random few. If you Google this particular problem, you will see that it is bigger than just the few who have posted here. I'm just pointing that out, not complaining. I will certainly take my iPad to the closest Apple store. Unfortunately it is 300 miles away, so it is a trip I have to plan. I know I have the option of sending it in, I am just hesitant to install the new iPad I just purchased into the Square stand without having some way of preventing this issue. I really hate be replacing my iPads yearly.

Message 8 of 36

We have resolved ours by getting a new iPad. If you do the research on Apple sites and elsewhere on the internet, you will find that people have had persistent problems with this screen separation and have had the same issues getting Apple to address it. 

Message 9 of 36
Admin

Hi @Brownbagroasters, I'm sorry for the trouble this is causing, I realize it's not always easy to get to an Apple Store! If you call Apple they might be able to find an Apple Authorized Service Provider nearer you. 

Apple is constantly improving the way their devices manage charging and power management in newer versions of iOS. If you continue to experience any issues, we encourage you to update to the latest version of iOS on your iPad.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 10 of 36

We ended up returning both iPads to POSPortal, the leasing company for Square. They replaced them both without question. Someone told me that it was actually dangerous, that the batteries were swollen and in danger of exploding. Not sure if Apple will help if you own the iPad but POS Portal was great about it. May have something to do with how the iPad sits in the Square stand or the fact that the iPad actually never powers off or goes to sleep and then taxes the battery? Not sure but I'm glad POS Portal was so accommodating.

Message 11 of 36
Square Community Moderator

Thanks for sharing your experience with this @littlegrocery1

The battery issue does sound concerning. Were you able to get more information from Apple around this?

Glad to hear POSPortal was able to take care of you. 

Message 12 of 36

I was told that it is indeed the battery swelling from being on all the time and getting overheated. I was also told that it is dangerous as the batteries can explode. I think because the iPad is sitting in the Square stand all the time and there is no way to turn the iPad off without taking it out of the stand it makes the problem worse. I now have my iPad set to go to sleep after 5 minutes.

Message 13 of 36

Putting the Ipad to sleep won't actually solve the problem. We tried that with our second Ipad, and it still swelled. It is still charging when it goes to sleep. The only thing that worked for me was to plug our square stand into a power strip with an on/off switch. 

Message 14 of 36
Beta Member

I had this happen before one on ipad and now it is happening again on another. There is no other logical reason besides the ipad being constantly plugged in, causing continuous heat and the expansion of the screen separating from the iPad. it looks pretty bad and even might be dangerous. I will have to buy another ipad now.

Message 15 of 36

just so you know if its not concidered vintage  Apple will replace the screen for 99.99 ,,actually they replace the whole Ipad because they dont do just screens . They view it as a swolen overheated batterey . Thats what they did for me and we were out of wartrenty as well .

Message 16 of 36

just so you know if its not concidered vintage  Apple will replace the screen for 99.99 ,,actually they replace the whole Ipad because they dont do just screens . They view it as a swolen overheated batterey . Thats what they did for me and we were out of wartrenty as well .

Message 17 of 36
Beta Member

how long did that take? I run two registers at my liquor store and we are busy most of the time. I can't have a checkout shut down. refurbished ones on amazon are about $200...so i guess another 100 to get a whole ipad isnt too bad considering it would also be quicker. just hoping it doesnt come updated with iOS 11.

Message 18 of 36

I've had this happen on 5 different ipads so far. As with others, I presume it is from overheating due to being in the stand at all times. These are used in cafes and it isn't practical to take them out every night. In the location where I did try that the lightening connector in the stand broke off eventually from all the in/out.  These are not covered under warranty so I just have to keep replacing them.

Has anyone actually had any luck with having the ipad go to sleep after a certain period? I can't imagine this will make any difference if it is still on the charger. I guess we could put the entire stand on a power strip and have them switch it off each night to actually kill power for awhile.

Message 19 of 36
Alumni

@nep - I believe having the iPad go to sleep won't actually help with the battery issue as it's still continuously charging the same way my iPhone will charge even if it's completely shut off. Putting your system on a power strip sounds like a practical solution so that you're not constantly taking your stand apart every night and putting it back together in the morning. If you decide to go that route, feel free to update us how it goes and if it has any effects on your workflow. Your insight would definitely help other Sellers decide if they should follow suit! 🤙🏼

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 20 of 36

A friend of mine warned me about this afternoon months ago, so I've been keeping an eye on it. And, sure enough, it happened. I would be interested to know what Square says about it. The bottom of the sctscrstarted separating, and the side is separating as well. It has nothing to do with the pin that holds the ipaiin place -- the screen is separating from the iPad. I am sure that apple and square will both blame the user, but I turn mine off every night, so it isn't a heat issue. The adhesive is just coming loose and the screen is bowed in the middle. 

Message 21 of 36