x

my ipad always dies at farmers markets. the square stand has a strange chord/ connector

my ipad on a square stand always dies at farmers markets.need a backup battery solution. the charging chord is odd

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Super Seller

not sure what you mean the cord is odd, it is a standard 110v three prong male outlet.  unless you are looking at the plug that goes from the "accessories hub" into the "power adapter" because that needs to be plugged into the "power adapter" to work.

Do you use the Square Stand and a printer and cash drawer at the market?  If not there is no need to use the Square stand other than convenience and you could use any battery pack to recharge the iPad (like this one Anker battery pack).  If you need the Square stand you can get a battery pack like this (power bank) but they are much more costly.  You can also set up a standard car battery and an inverter like this (inverter).

We use iPad minis in L& cases at our farmer's markets, but only use them for credit cards so they almost always last all day with 50 transactions or so a piece.

original_stand_and_peripherials_setup.png

Message 2 of 4
Super Seller Alumni

I agree.

@VanKalkerFarms he means that you have to manage a long, awkward cord, USB hub, and power brick in order to provide power to the stand/iPad.  Also, you have to use a battery that has a 110v 3 prong plug.  Not ideal when you're on the go.

It would be nice if there were an adapter from square's proprietary plug on the bottom of the stand to USB through which the iPad could be charged.  You could then simply use a USB battery pack.  Or better yet, a battery pack, designed by Square, that connected cleanly to the bottom of the stand without all the wires 🙂

Message 3 of 4
Super Seller

I use this power bank with a built-in inverter at my markets now.  works pretty good and keeps my wifi hotspot alive, but I don't use the Square Stand at market, though with this you could.

Message 4 of 4