x

"Access Denied" when trying to connect chip reader

I've logged in as a team member and am denied access to set up a chip reader. I go to the settings menu to connect the card reader and it gives me the "access denied" screen saying I don't have permission to take this action. The same login was used an hour before on a different device and was able to connect properly. No settings were changed between users of the login. All devices have been iPhones.

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 31
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey there @Cookie2. Sorry to hear you're having some trouble. A few things to check first: 

1) Is the OS (Operating System) up to date on your iPhone?

2) Is the POS app up to date?

Sometimes it also helps to delete and reinstall the app completely, as long as you don't have any pending Offline Mode payments.

Make sure those things are all updated. If you're still running into problems, give our team a call so they can go through some additional steps.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
Admin

Best Answer

Hey there @Cookie2. Sorry to hear you're having some trouble. A few things to check first: 

1) Is the OS (Operating System) up to date on your iPhone?

2) Is the POS app up to date?

Sometimes it also helps to delete and reinstall the app completely, as long as you don't have any pending Offline Mode payments.

Make sure those things are all updated. If you're still running into problems, give our team a call so they can go through some additional steps.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 2 of 31

Thanks for the response! I forgot to include that I can connect to the reader with the admin login. POS and OS are updated. The user that initially had the problem installed the app right before attempting to login. I'll try calling.

Message 3 of 31

I am having the same problem. Can you please explain how this was fixed? Thank you!

Message 4 of 31

I’m having the same problem

Message 5 of 31
Alumni

You try any of the troubleshooting suggested in this thread? Nika gives you the link to contact CS if you're still having trouble. 

@copperfeel

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 31

Since the latest 5.69 app update in mid-July neither of our contactless chip readers will function.  When we try to pair them in the app we get the error message "Reader unavailable: secure session denial" and even though the check-reader message shows up afterwards the readers will not function and we can't run transactions with them.  This is happening on both of our Galaxy smart phones.  Prior to this latest app update everything had been working fine.

As a workaround we are running cards using the plug-in swiper on my Galaxy S10, but we can't use it on my wife's phone since her Galaxy S21 no longer has a plug-in headphone jack.  As you can imaging this is causing quite a problem for us while selling at shows.

I've tried everything including forgetting the readers, uninstalling and reinstalling the app, but nothing works.  I emailed Square support and they responded with generic boiler-plate instructions about how to pair the readers, but they did not address the error message at all. 

Please, Square!  We need a Software Engineer to contact us regarding this error message and what can be done to remedy this!!  I know that we are not the only ones dealing with this error as I saw a review at the Google Play store from another user who was receiving the same error message.

Thank you.

Message 7 of 31

I am also having this issue. I have a Galaxy phone. I have checked for updates, I have deleted the app and reinstalled it. I called CS. They said it was my contactless chip reader. I purchased a new contactless chip reader. I am still having the same problem. Again, I have checked for updates, uninstalled/reinstalled the app. I have called CS again but, of course, no one is available over the weekend. This is not my equipment. I am now looking into other POS service providers, especially ones with 24/7 CS availability.

Message 8 of 31

Same problem. The only way ot works for me now is to have the reader on charge while processing the transaction 

Message 9 of 31

Same here. secure session denial. Device not supported? Rooted devices are not supported.

This happened after phone update. Luckily I can still hotspot to my tablet and still receive payments, but not ideal

Message 10 of 31
Alumni

I reached out to our Product Team about this one. A factory reset on your device will fix the issue. 

If you need assistance with performing a factory reset, reach out to your cell phone carrier. 

@Richard1972

Justin
Message 11 of 31

This does not seem to work either

Message 12 of 31

Disabling developer options on your phone should resolve the secure session denial issue, absolutely no need for a factory reset

Message 13 of 31

disabled developer option. still have session denial error

Message 14 of 31
Square Community Moderator

Hello @harryv 👋

Firstly, welcome to the Seller Community + sorry to hear that you're here because you've run into trouble. We recommend checking to make sure that both your app and your mobile device itself are up-to-date. If everything looks good there, you'll want to reach out.

If you haven't already, your best bet is to get in touch with us directly, so that a member of our ___ team can dig in with you. When you have a moment, please reach out directly by logging into your Square account and heading here.

JJ
Message 15 of 31

This is happening to me also.  I have a Samsung tablet.  Seems to work if I shut the tablet off and turn back on.  That is very inconvenient with a line of customers.  What else can be done?

Message 16 of 31

Hey @oreoman26, Other than making sure your Square app is up to date, you can also take a look at these troubleshooting steps. I hope this doesn’t continue to happen. 

Let me know if you have any other questions. 

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 17 of 31

I am getting the message "Reader unavailable: secure session denial" sporadically - but very often. My device often says it is connected to the reader, and sometimes allows a transaction to go through, and then later this message appears. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software. I have unpaired and re-paired the device. I have reset the device. I have done all of the fixes suggested and nothing is working. Has anyone found a solution that WORKS and solves the problem for good?

Message 18 of 31

@vquakerb, Troubleshooting on this platform can be a bit challenging. Please give us a call so we can help you further. 

Thanks! 

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 19 of 31

Have you found a solution yet? I'm having the same issue.

Message 20 of 31

No, I haven't. Someone from customer service suggested I call for help on this. I just haven't gotten around to it. I just keep restarting the phone or the app or my Bluetooth connection. Eventually it works for a while, until I have to do it again.

Message 21 of 31