x

"Unable to load image" error: Item images aren't loading on my Android device

I'm not too sure what is causing this error, but I think it may have something to do with the tablet I am using. Everything works great except when I try to add a picture to an item. It always gives me a "unable to load image" message. I've had to use my phone to add items (nexus 5) then simple use the tablet for transactions.

I tried adding a SD card but that didn't work. I also noticed that if I take a black picture (covering the camera), it allows me to add it. But as soon as the image is complex, it doesn't load. 

Tablet: Advan T3H

Display: 10.1" (1080x800) IPS
Wi-Fi: 802.11 b/g/n
Battery: 5500 mAh
RAM: 1 GB
Internal Memory : 8 GB
Processor Smartphone: Quad Core 1.3 GHz
Cameras: Rear 3MP, Front 2MP

Cheers,
Matt
Message 1 of 26
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: When adding an image to an item, I get an error: "Unable to load image"

@Stevereno30 Glad that work around worked for you! Clever idea! 

@Breezers_Boutiq @okkybakery If you are having trouble on your mobile devices, I would recommend trying this out on a computer using an web browser like google chrome or safari. Also, double check that the image in either PNG or JPEG files. 

(Pro-tip: Ideal photo dimensions should be square (same width and height) and 720 × 720 pixels.) 🙂

1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

@kwahamot Sorry to hear this! You might need to update the software on your Android device and make sure your tablets are compatible with Square.

If your tablets are up to date and compatible try these troubleshooting steps for the Point of Sale app.

And the images still aren't loading do call our CS team who can escalate this to our engineering team to investigate.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 22 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

I was able to get around this issue by taking a photo in my camera app, cropping it to the size I want then adding it to my item inventory in the Register app.

Message 2 of 26

I am also having this problem, except that it doesnt happen everytime. I even tried to take pictures in just my camera option on my phone and then use the "load photo" option rather than "take photo" and it is still hit and miss... Anyone have any ideas on what may be causing this?

Message 3 of 26
Square

@Stevereno30 Glad that work around worked for you! Clever idea! 

@Breezers_Boutiq @okkybakery If you are having trouble on your mobile devices, I would recommend trying this out on a computer using an web browser like google chrome or safari. Also, double check that the image in either PNG or JPEG files. 

(Pro-tip: Ideal photo dimensions should be square (same width and height) and 720 × 720 pixels.) 🙂

Message 4 of 26

I have had the same problem many times, now I only post images by signing in on the square website and adding images there. Trying to post them in the app rarley works for me.

Message 5 of 26
Square

@ctgolfer - Sorry to hear! If you reach out to our Support Team directly, they should be able to dig deeper. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 6 of 26

Thanks for the reply Sean, I contacted the support team 10 days ago about a $15 withdrawl they notified me about and still have not got a reply, did get a couple nice messages about " we will get to you soon" though, thanks for that!  Pretty much givin up on square support.

Message 7 of 26
Square Community Moderator

@ctgolfer I checked in on this for you and our support team sent you a reply on June 16 at 11:15 am. I'd double check your Spam or Junk folder in your email, as they sometimes filter our replies out. 

Message 8 of 26

K. Thanks ej

Message 9 of 26

@Sean I have never had this problem until yesterday. I always load the pictures via computer, but trying to save time yesterday, I added a couple directly in the app and now ALL item images on my Android tablets fail to load!   I can see and change them on the computer and iPhone with out a problem.  I deleted the ones I created on the iPhone and added back via computer but still fail to load any images on android tablets.  Two different brands with latest OS and Square app updates. Help!! Our festival is on Saturday and we need tablets working!!

Message 10 of 26
Admin

@RiversideGreekF I'm so sorry for the late reply here. I see that you've already contacted our CS team about this and they were able to identify that your item images weren't loading because of the age of the software on your Android device. 😞

For anyone else reading this you can learn how to update the software on your Android device in our Support Center, and you can check if your Android device is still compatible with Square online.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 11 of 26

It's a new laptop - so that's not the problem. image 200x200 png or jpg. So what's the issue here. when I go to image>add image -nothing -not response to the click. What's up with that here.

Message 12 of 26

tried loading them from my iPhone and it worked for a while and then stopped. now this is a bit ridiculous. I should be able to load them from a desk top as well just like I did initially. now when I make a new items and get the code, upload my site and then I get the big fat pig. I have deleted this item and redid it three times. what is the issue here.

Message 13 of 26

oh. and I still cannot load the images from my Mac Pro.

Message 14 of 26
Admin

Hey @WhiteFeather🐦

Are images not loading on the app? Or the Square Dashboard? 

Let me know! 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 15 of 26

Dashboard on my Mac Pro. I can do it if I go to the .com on my phone. But that’s not my point. I want to use my laptop for loading photos. Thank u. 

Message 16 of 26
Alumni

Hi @WhiteFeather - we haven't heard of any reports where images we're loaded on laptops. I'm working from a laptop myself - using Google Chrome, images appear for my items with no problem. 

Makes me think it's a device issue, especially since your phone isn't giving you the same trouble. Can you try a different browser? Have you updated your browser version? What about the OS on your computer? 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 17 of 26

Ah! Im running Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6. And it was loading fine until it stopped.

Message 18 of 26

And that would be in Safari. I don't want to use Chrome

Message 19 of 26
Alumni

@WhiteFeather - Chrome is the most compatible with our sites. Let me know if the issue still persists when you switch from Safari to Google Chrome. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 20 of 26

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: photos not showing up on new tablet

After installing square on 2 new samsung tablets my photos on my register aren't showing up.  They are on my other tablets

Message 21 of 26