x

transaction order change ?

When did square change when cards are approved when swiped ?

It used to be put in amount-swipe card - get approved or declined - tip screen -signature- reciept screen

now its put in amount - swipe card - tip screen - get approved or declined - signature - reciept screen

This is a big problem as I deal with people from bars that are usually drunk . 

I use to run a card get approved and hand them my phone to tip and sign no issue . 

Now they have to tip b4 transaction is approved which is no good with drunk people especially if the remove card reader or drop my phone and the card reader comes out it cancells the transaction.

Why was this changed and  no nototification sent out . I have lost money this weekend due to this new way of processing . Going over my logs for the night comparing them to square trans actions several trans actions are not there. Found out from other person if the card reader is even bumped from phone jack transaction is cancelled . 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Alumni

Hi @id1

This flow should not impact your business this way and I'm sorry to hear about the trouble. This payment flow ensures that your customer's card is authorized for the total processed (bill + tip).

I am not entirely clear how the order of the steps would make your customers more prone to making mistakes (they have to sign and tip either way). Can you give me some more details on this? It may be a good idea for you to be holding your device at all times rather than passing the device to your customers. 

I am curious if other sellers have run into this issue - or - if other sellers have any practices they use to make sure their transactions complete as intended. 

Message 2 of 3

Hi @Russell

I drive taxi night shift 90% of my clients are bar crowed. That crowed and daily normal functions of paying for things goes out the window depending on their level of drunkeness. Most people are fine but there is usually at least 3-5 that have issue with bright objects (tablet/cellphone). Not including any drama from the bar / police for being kicked out of the bar or being put in a taxi by the police (against their will of course).

I have been using square for the last 6 yrs. In that time I have had 7 mag swipers broken off in the ear phone jack , 4 cell phones thrown,dropped in the rain ,dropped and stepped on.
You advice "It may be a good idea for you to be holding your device at all times rather than passing the device to your customers. " I am going to go out on a limb and guess you have never delt with extremely drunk people in a customer service capacity before. Imagine a upset toddler you are trying to keep calm you try to give that toddler your car keys to calm it down. Toddler wants nothing to do with the keys but toddler sees your cell phone bright and shiney , toddler doesnt know what it is just grabis it from your hand. Now try to get said toddler to read (tip screen) and under stand and know what it means. That toddler has more comprehension then alot of upset drunks.
The reason the " payment flow " of getting the base fare approved is more important then getting both fare and tip approved.Sure I want a tip but if the customer can't even talk or see straight getting a tip cost me more time/ money trying to get them to understand how to press a button on a screen they can't even read. If I get the base fare approved I can get them out of the car and be done with them.
Now if heavan for bid the card is declined that opens a new can of worms.If when I swipe its declined I am still mostly in control of situation if it declines after they tip it can get ugly again more time and money lost.
As for removeing the mag swiper and transaction being cancelled that is a big issue! My flow use to be swipe card -get approved- pull mag swiper- tip -signature done. The reason for that is toddler shiney object syndrome as I mentioned before have had several mag swipes broke in phone from people grabbing/dropping ect my phone. Now I have to get them to tip-sign with the mag swiper still in phone or loose transaction and have to start over again. Not fun with upset drunks or incoherent drunks.
Square is great for my business but when something isn't broke it should not be "fixed" it seems every week there is a update when everything works fine already .

Message 3 of 3