x

Can Canadian Chip/PIN and tap enabled credit cards work with Square

Good day:  I am attempting to process Canadian credit cards that are both TAP and CHIP./PIN enabled.  When the card is inserted into the contactless chip and pin reader during payment, the system is automatically going to authorization without prompting for PIN.  This results in a failed/declined transaction.  Can the system take this type of card, and what needs to be done to make it prompt for PIN codes.  Debit CHIP.PIN cards work fine, and the same credit card will work for TAP, but fails if inserted, as no prompt is given to enter PIN code.  Any help appreciated.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Super Seller

So just to be clear, are you also located in Canada or are you in another country?

If your transaction is failing when inserting a tap-enabled card, could you just retry by tapping?

Michael
New Light Photography | SUB Photo | Square fan
Message 2 of 9
Square Community Moderator

Hello @DanielSmith,

Thank you for reaching out and letting us know! I haven't heard of sellers running into this yet, but I want to make sure this gets investigated. Can you confirm what Square hardware you are using to process the payments? Also did this just started happening, and is there any error message that occurs when it declines?  I appreciate all the help! 

Message 3 of 9

Hey there, @DanielSmith

Yes, you would be able to take those types of payments with your Contactless Chip reader. What is the brand of card you were trying to run?

I will keep an eye out for your reply👀

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 9

Hello @Kassi_  the card is a Visa credit card, with TAP and CHIP/PIN enabled.-

Message 5 of 9

Thank you for confirming, @DanielSmith. The VISA type of card is normally accepted no matter how the card is used. 

Is it only this card that is giving you trouble? Or are you seeing it with other VISA cards too. 

From everything you've described and what I see, there is nothing on our end blocking the card. What is the amount of the transaction you're trying to process for this card? 

Thank you! 

Kassi
Message 6 of 9

Good day @Kassi_  :  Originally, the problem was all cards.  After working with support for a bit, we got the Debit cards to work with Chip and PIN.  I am attempting to try credit cards.  One problem I am encountering with the credit cards now is that the screen now has some sort of message about Interac or something (can't remember the message off the top of my head) that appears above the PIN pad when the card is inserted into the reader.  This pushes the PIN pad down so that the confirmation and correction buttons are pushed off the page when the iPad is in landscape mode.  Once this happens, the PIN PAD no longer responds to touch when the Apple Voice Over is on.  I am blind, so can not test without Voice Over active.  I can only seem to ge the missing buttons to appear if in Portrait mode, and the PIN pad then responds.  This does not happen with Debit cards that are chip and PIN enabled.  The test amounts are only for $1.00, as it is just a test until I can confirm that all is working properly.  As I have headphones plugged into one side of the iPad so that I can hear it in loud environments, and the power cord is in the right with other connections attached to the lightning port, it is not easy to orient the iPad in portrait mode all day, so have been using in landscape mode primarily.  I am attempting to get a different card to test with, but can't test with customer cards until verified.  First problem seems to be getting the PIN pad to work in landscape mode if possible.  Do not know why the extra message appears only with the credit card.  Thanks. 

Message 7 of 9

@DanielSmith

Interac payments do have limitations when it comes to the amount that can be charged when those specific cards are tapped. If the Interac payments are inserted (chip & PIN) there isn't a transaction limit. 

Do you have this issue with any other app when switching from portrait to landscape? I want to make sure it's an app issue and not a hardware issue. 

If other apps are working when you make those switches, I am going to recommend reaching out to Support again. They can file a ticket with our engineers to take a deeper look into the bug. 

Kassi
Message 8 of 9

Hello @Kassi_  :  This is the only app that I have had this problem on.  All other programs on the iPad work in either mode.  Our transactions are all less than $100, as we are doing fund raisers and so are just taking donations and small merchandise sales.  I will send a note to support again and see if they can do something with the interface, perhaps.  Thanks.

Message 9 of 9