x

Can I accep chip credit cards with the free reader?

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Accepting chip credit cards

Can I accept chip credit cards with the free hardware, or do I need to buy the contactless reader? Thank you

Message 1 of 2
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hey there, @Rmanolescu

Thank you for reaching out! 

You can accept chip credit cards with the magstripe reader, but something to keep in mind is EMV liability. This means a company can dispute the charge for a card not being used correctly (chip card being swiped instead of inserted). For details about accepted cards in Canada visit out our Support Centre.

I would suggest purchasing the Contactless + Chip Reader to secure yourself. Here is more information on how to cover yourself from EMV liability.

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hey there, @Rmanolescu

Thank you for reaching out! 

You can accept chip credit cards with the magstripe reader, but something to keep in mind is EMV liability. This means a company can dispute the charge for a card not being used correctly (chip card being swiped instead of inserted). For details about accepted cards in Canada visit out our Support Centre.

I would suggest purchasing the Contactless + Chip Reader to secure yourself. Here is more information on how to cover yourself from EMV liability.

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 2