x

Can I change the date of a transaction?

Can I change the date of a particular transaction in my square app? I recorded sales on January 3, 2019, but that sale was in fact for December 2018 and I would like accurate sales reports for the year.

Message 1 of 12
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

You're welcome @Susan01 @SFNKaren, I'll share your interest with the Reporting team. Thank you for your patience and understanding!

in te meantime, it might be worth speaking to an accountant or a tax professional to learn how you can best keep track of and report payments like this.  

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 5 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

I have the same question. Would like to submit cash drawer transactions for December 2019 even though monies will be received in 2020. Can we do this?

Message 2 of 12
Admin

Hello @SFNKaren @Susan01!

There isn't a way to change the date of a transaction or to record a transaction that happened in the past. If you were to record the transaction today your Square reports would have today's date. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 3 of 12

Ok thanks Helen for your answer. Wish I could as each year I receive payment in early January for December sales which are quite significant. Guess I’ll just have to figure that manually when I print out a yearly report. 
Thank you! 

Message 4 of 12
Admin

Best Answer

You're welcome @Susan01 @SFNKaren, I'll share your interest with the Reporting team. Thank you for your patience and understanding!

in te meantime, it might be worth speaking to an accountant or a tax professional to learn how you can best keep track of and report payments like this.  

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 5 of 12

Thanks for your reply Helen.  It would be great if the developers could work on this for the future, as it does mess up our accounting. 

Appreciate your quick and clear response!

Thanks!

Message 6 of 12

It would be a good option to be able to backdate transactions. I sometimes have forgotten Tony record a cash sale and want it to be reflected correctly for accounting purposes, as well as for year over year sales comparison. 

Message 7 of 12

I am wondering the same thing. I'm a therapist and often do my billing a few days after I have seen patients. The receipt function is useless to me as I can't change the date, nor is there a text box in which I can write the correct appointment date, rather than the date the receipt was issued. 

It would be great if this could be addressed!

Message 8 of 12
Beta Member

Hi everyone, 

Just fall on this thread and though I would share with you : 

I started a thread in feature requests not to long ago about this problem which is about the accrual method reporting in Canada. Square do not at the time offers this even if it is required by the law for many businesses.

https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/Feature-Requests/Square-invoice-accrual-method/td-p/231797

Go show it some love!

Message 9 of 12

This is my exact issue I have just fell into! 

I didn't know this before hand,  I had quite a few sales from 2020 i never cashed out. My old system notified me I had not completed sales from appointments but square does not and the colour is so similar.  I cashed out all of 2020 appointment thats were incomplete or etransfers and now my sales for today are through the roof!  I have to refund it all and find another way to report all these transactions! 

Message 10 of 12
Beta Member

Yes that's the problem. Need to rewrite everything, and use another system.

Message 11 of 12
Beta Member

update? I have sold inventory that is not reported because it's only reported when it's paid and can't make automatic inventory report as i'm forced to by the government. Same thing again about reporting : need accrual method to be an option. Custom field feature is not an obligation, accrual method is legally required.

Message 12 of 12