x
Beta Member

Can I have different In-Store and Online Store tax settings?

[The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Tax included in person but excluded online]

Hi Everyone,

I am playing with (and quite liking) the new Square Online Store.

Currently, our prices include tax and everything works great.

Within the next year, we plan to start shipping outside of our province.

Question is: 

Can we keep our prices in-store to include sales tax BUT have the online store prices exclude sales tax as the rates are different per province.

Thanks for your help!

Message 1 of 6
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @MonicasAttic-

Yes, the two can be different:

For my demo account that I use, I was able to have my settings as Add to Item Price for in-store, and Taxes Included in Item Price for Online Store. I hope that answers your question! Let me know if not 😊

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @MonicasAttic-

Yes, the two can be different:

For my demo account that I use, I was able to have my settings as Add to Item Price for in-store, and Taxes Included in Item Price for Online Store. I hope that answers your question! Let me know if not 😊

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 2 of 6
Beta Member

Thank you @isabelle ! 

I knew where to adjust the settings but worried that changing the online store format would completely mess up my in-store format.

So.... If my product in store (tax included) is $21.25, the price in the online store can be $18.99 and the two won't mess each other up. 

This is fantastic! One step closer to expanding.

🙂

Message 3 of 6
Beta Member

I set up a fake account too.... great suggestion.

When I set up the taxes differently in the in-person store and the real life store (online, tax not included..... in person, tax included).

Set up is no problem but...

When I change the price in the online store to exclude taxes it changes it for the in-person store as well.

I do have the square sync turned on because I want to track inventory online and real life (shared resource).

I unchecked the option to share descriptions, but don't see a place to unsync pricing and how taxes are applied.

Am I missing a key step?

Message 4 of 6
Square Community Moderator

Hey @MonicasAttic! Stepping in for @isabelle here. 

You may need to go back into your items to make sure to toggle any you need back on for in-store purchases. 

It's good you turned the sync off but unfortunately it sounds like it already synced before you did so you may have to go back in there and manually change them back. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 5 of 6
Beta Member

Your suggestion doesn't make sense to me. 😞

It seems like it's an all or nothing situation.

Either the taxes are included in the price or they are not.

I understand where I can add or remove taxes per item. That makes sense.

The issue is....

• If I turn off the "include taxes in price" on the online store, it also turns it off for the items I sell in person via the square stand.
  • If I change the price to exclude (or include) taxes, it changes the price both in the online store and the square stand...

So, it seems to me that I can not list two different prices.

$1.99 for the online store and $2.25 for the in-person real life store.

I can turn off syncing the description - which is awesome! But I can not turn of syncing prices and taxes. 

We may just have to look at changing the in-store prices to exclude taxes when we are ready to start shipping to other provinces.

Message 6 of 6