x

Can customers pay with Visa Debit through Square Online in Canada?

Most of our transactions are credit cards or debit payments under $100. However, we offer workshops with fees over $100 and ocassionally we have a customer choosing to pay with debit for these transactions. 

Under the Square online store information online it says that Visa Debit is accepted through the Square online store. If this works, I could direct customers to pay with their Visa debit card online for those registrations. Can you please confirm that this method is available online.

Also, we are looking to use a Cognito Forms integration for online workshop registrations. Can you please confirm if this payment type will work with this integration.

Here's what it says on the Square website.

"Whether you’re providing goods or services, selling merchandise or tickets, or accepting donations, your Square Online Store lets customers shop with their credit or Visa debit card for shipping, electronic delivery or in-store pickup."

Message 1 of 10
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Great question @weloveart! The short answer is that you can direct customers with co-branded debit cards to book from your Online Store or with CognitoForms, but you should not do this if your customer has an Interac debit card.

I'm adding a bit more detail below, I'm sorry if it seems like too much information but it might help other sellers with the same question! 

Accepting a co-branded debit card with Square in Canada:

• A co-branded debit card can be used to pay for Online Store ordersInvoices, and Virtual Terminal payments. This is because co-branded debit transactions can actually be processed as credit and not debit.
  • These debit cards have the Visa or Mastercard logo, as well as branding from the issuing partner (like a bank).

Accepting an Interac debit card with Square in Canada:

• At this time you can only accept Interac debit cards using the tap function of the contactless and chip reader. This means you cannot accept Interac debit cards for Online Store payments.
  • These cards have the yellow Interac logo and there is a per transaction limit of 100.

If you have any more questions about this please don't hesitate to post again.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Admin

Best Answer

Great question @weloveart! The short answer is that you can direct customers with co-branded debit cards to book from your Online Store or with CognitoForms, but you should not do this if your customer has an Interac debit card.

I'm adding a bit more detail below, I'm sorry if it seems like too much information but it might help other sellers with the same question! 

Accepting a co-branded debit card with Square in Canada:

• A co-branded debit card can be used to pay for Online Store ordersInvoices, and Virtual Terminal payments. This is because co-branded debit transactions can actually be processed as credit and not debit.
  • These debit cards have the Visa or Mastercard logo, as well as branding from the issuing partner (like a bank).

Accepting an Interac debit card with Square in Canada:

• At this time you can only accept Interac debit cards using the tap function of the contactless and chip reader. This means you cannot accept Interac debit cards for Online Store payments.
  • These cards have the yellow Interac logo and there is a per transaction limit of 100.

If you have any more questions about this please don't hesitate to post again.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 2 of 10

Thanks! For us, this pretty much solves the $100 tap limit, since most of our customers will be able to register online using their Visa or MC Debit (or as you called it, co-branded cards)...the payment is processed as credit, but actually comes out of their bank account.

Message 3 of 10
Admin

@weloveart You're welcome, glad this helped! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 4 of 10

So the answer is, no?  Square does not accept manual key in for Visa Debit? 

Message 5 of 10

What if Card has all 3 logos, Interac, VISA and Debit printed on the card, would customers be able to pay online with these cards?

Thanks

LinkUp1

Message 6 of 10

Looks like it.

Message 7 of 10

Has this changed as of yet?  I use Square payment gateway on my Canadian woocommerce site and would LOVE to accept interac/debit cards instead of having to use Paypal for this...Is this possible as of yet!?

Thank you!

Message 8 of 10

I don't understand the difference between "co-brand" and a "debit card"

Message 9 of 10
Square Community Moderator

Hey there, @Bitsps

This is some information I found on co-branded cards:

"A co-brand program is a three-party partnership between a merchant, network and issuer. The co-brand card will usually contain the merchant or brand's name, logo and other identifying features. The co-branded card will also provide specific benefits and rewards that are only available to cardholders."

Have you had trouble taking these types of cards? 

I will keep an eye out for your reply👀

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 10 of 10