x

Can the Square terminal work on an open wifi like at a store or restaurant?

Can the Square terminal work on an open wifi like at a store or restaurant

Message 1 of 4
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hey @danfoote,

Welcome to the Community!

You wonโ€™t be able to connect your Square Terminal to a captive portal network. A captive portal is a network that requires you to agree to terms or conditions to access the internet connection (these networks are common at coffee shops, airports, and other public internet access points).

Please let me know if that helps.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Best Answer

Hey @danfoote,

Welcome to the Community!

You wonโ€™t be able to connect your Square Terminal to a captive portal network. A captive portal is a network that requires you to agree to terms or conditions to access the internet connection (these networks are common at coffee shops, airports, and other public internet access points).

Please let me know if that helps.

Message 2 of 4
Beta Member

It is definitely disappointing that the Square Terminal cannot be used on captive portal network connections. It is a feature which is supported in Android on which the Square Terminal appears to be using a very customized version of.

Message 3 of 4

Hey @CB22 

I definitely understand your feedback. However, as a security measure to protect your device (that is definitely running Android) from unauthorized or insecure websites, Square has not included a Web Browser on Square Terminal or Square Register and for this reason, third-party URLs (including those used to log into public WiFi) will not work.  

I recommend you submit a Feature Request here. This will help our product team get visibility and track other Sellers' interest in your request. 

Important: When submitting a request, make sure to include the desired feature, and provide the details of how this feature will help your business succeed (how would you use it and what you expect from it).

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 4