x

Does Square accept Canadian Debit cards?

I would like this question answered before applying for a Square.

It would save a lot of time if Square had a customer service number for potential clients to call and get their questions answered.

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 135
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi there, @WestsideYYC and @sqruserincanada! I hope this message finds you both well.

Wanted to reach out with some good news. I am happy to report that we're able to offer full Interac acceptance in Canada! This means that you can now accept chip and PIN payments using the Contactless & Chip Card reader or the Square Terminal. 👏More info on Debit & Pin availability is available here and you can visit our Support Centre to learn more accepting Interac debit cards cards

Thanks so much for your patience while we brought this feature to fruition! We appreciate you being a part of the Square Community. 

This post was updated in October 2020.

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 131 of 135
134 REPLIES 134

Thank you for your response @Braeheid... been searching high and low to find out if i can use my own merchant provider with square because of the canadian debit issue. I am planning to use Elavon through Costco because their rates are way better than Moneris. I just wanted to be sure that the Square POS will mark the items purchased as paid. Such a simple question and not much in the forum on this and couldn't get a straight answer from square! thanks again!

Message 43 of 135

Actionlock Hey I have given up waiting for Square to get debit activated in Canada. I purchased Dream Payments $99 and use that strictly for debit card transactions. All sales however go through Square Register, ie if it's a debit sale, I note debit on the Square.

Message 44 of 135

I am also using Dream Payments too. I already given up waiting for Square. Dream Payments 's device cost $99 with 0.25 service charge per transaction. 

Debit card fees are a lot are a lot lower than credit card. That's maybe one of the reasons why Square is not up-grading their devices.

There is just not enough incentives to upgrade their devices to accept Debit cards when they think they can make a whooping 

processing fees of 2.65% per swipe, 2.9% + 30 cents per paid Square Invoice and Online Store sale, and 3.4% + 15 cents per manually entered transaction.

Message 45 of 135
Alumni

Hi everyone! I'm happy to announce the Square Reader for contactless and chip in Canada. This latest addition to the Square reader family lets you accept chip cards, contactless payments, and now—finally—debit tap!

What this means for your business

Square Reader for contactless and chip is now available from the online Square Shop for $59. Once you have your reader, you can accept contactless payments, mobile payments like Apple Pay and Android Pay, and chip credit cards too.

Your reader can connect wirelessly to any supported device or you can purchase the Dock for Square Reader to keep your reader charged and positioned for payments. You can also use the dock to plug your reader right into Square Stand for instant setup. Learn more about how to use your reader in our Support Centre.

Accepting payments with Square Reader

Once you have your Square Reader set up, you can start processing debit tap, credit and mobile transactions with the Square app on your device. It’s similar to accepting payments with the magstripe reader, but a few things are different:

• Interac Debit tap transactions have a limit of $100. Interac dip (chip and PIN) payments have no transaction limit (new in 2019!). Credit card transactions have no limits—tap or insert the card, manually enter the card number, or swipe it with your included magstripe reader. Magstripe, inserted and manually entered debit transactions are currently not available. 
  • Accepting tips on tap payments. You’ll need to hit the Contactless option before you can complete the transaction.
  • Refunding debit card payments. These have to be done in person, you’ll need to tap the original purchasing card to refund the payment.

email_6_card-tap.jpg 

Message 46 of 135

Does anyone know if the new debit addition works for the regular swipe sqaure device?

Message 47 of 135

I have the same question "Does anyone know if the new debit addition works for the regular swipe sqaure device?" Can someone please clarify? Thanks!

Message 48 of 135

Probably not you guys. It works on the tap feature. Not the magstripe. 

Message 49 of 135
Alumni

Hey all - @Braeheid has it right. The Magstripe will not accept debit. Only tap transactions made with the Contactless + Chip Reader will be able to process Interac debit. Check out our Interac FAQ for more information.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 50 of 135

No it will not accept swipe for debit

Message 51 of 135

Is there any way to process a debit transaction over $100?

Sandra

[personal information redacted]

Message 52 of 135

Hiya, I use Dream Payments strictly for debit transactions. Although I have just ordered from SR the new swiper thingy that takes debit now in Canada, which I will use for debit sales $100 and under, Over $100 I will use DP

Message 53 of 135

I just split the sale into 2 or more transactions if the total is over $100

Message 54 of 135
Alumni

Hey there @Chalkpaintlady - welcome to the 👥 community!

Thanks for sharing this tip.

I've heard up to 97% of Interac Debit payments are under $100. That could definitely vary depending on your customer and type of business - but most customers will choose to use a different form of payment on their own if the transaction is over $100.

If your customer asks to make a Interac Debit payment over $100, you can use split tender to complete the transaction (for example: two different Interac Debit Tap cards, Interac Debit Tap card + cash, credit card, etc.). 

We aren't able to support a transaction with two payments from a single card, since that would defeat the purpose of the $100 security limit. 

Message 55 of 135

Will square accept debit payments over 100.00 in the new year?  My transactions are generally over 100.00

Message 56 of 135

Hiya, I believe SR debit $100 max is for tap. I use Dream Payments for Debit transactions atm. I have ordered the new SR swiper thingy

Message 57 of 135

Does this means that you can only process debit card when you have the Tap and the client has the flash interac? Please note that not all canadian debit cards has the flash , so are those as well work with the reader?

Message 58 of 135
Alumni

Hi @RlaBrez

We just launched Interac Debit Tap payments in Canada. We are definitely aware that not all customers will have a tap card and know that many Canadian sellers are looking for more payment features. We'll be sure to make an announcement when additional payment options become available. 

Message 59 of 135

I added the debit tap machine and it is working well - I've had a few customers who asked their banks to deactivate the tap feature on their card, so it wouldn't work, but almost all debit cards have the tap feature. You can only do up to $100 though. I just run through 2 transactions if it is over $100. They say that won't work, but it has worked for me. 😊

Message 60 of 135

Is Visa Debit different than other debit cards? It won't process ...also, $100 isn't much these days for many businesses so the debit won't necessarily be a great addition. 

Message 61 of 135

I am not sure about Visa Debit as I just got my device today. 

As for the $100 max... This limit is set by banking institutions - not Square... This is for your safety and the safety of your customers should their card gets stolen 

Message 62 of 135

Only VISA debit tap cards will work

Message 63 of 135