x

Does Square accept Canadian Debit cards?

I would like this question answered before applying for a Square.

It would save a lot of time if Square had a customer service number for potential clients to call and get their questions answered.

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 135
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi there, @WestsideYYC and @sqruserincanada! I hope this message finds you both well.

Wanted to reach out with some good news. I am happy to report that we're able to offer full Interac acceptance in Canada! This means that you can now accept chip and PIN payments using the Contactless & Chip Card reader or the Square Terminal. 👏More info on Debit & Pin availability is available here and you can visit our Support Centre to learn more accepting Interac debit cards cards

Thanks so much for your patience while we brought this feature to fruition! We appreciate you being a part of the Square Community. 

This post was updated in October 2020.

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 131 of 135
134 REPLIES 134

@kazlady wrote:

It appears “soon” is now. The Terminal has the functionality. It just isn’t free. No rental fees though which is nice. Pay for the terminal once, take advantage of Square’s amazing program. I’d do it if it had a Shopify integration. (Yes I know that isn’t likely)

Indeed, which is what I have done. It is just a shame the $800+ dollars I spent only two months ago on an incomplete solution wasn't more or less wasted at this point. (Note: The solution I was looking for wasn't "free", it cost a bundle already).

I suppose it is nice to have a backup system, but this isn't the kind of expense I was looking forward to having. I like Square's solutions, and they work great, but I'll admit a bitter taste at having to buy two systems this close together in order to have a complete solution. To bad the features were not available simultaneously. Bad timing on my part, I suppose 😛

At least I don't have to sign up for a competitor's solution which won't integrate cleanly, which I was days away from doing (since when I checked a couple of weeks ago Square did not have a proper chip and pin solution and until now it was basically radio silence on the possibility of a solution, or more specifically messaging since 2016 that a solution was being worked on -- not useful).

@Helen As mentioned above, I was days away from signing up to a contract for a competitor's service. It was sheer luck that this didn't happen. If there had been any sort of warning in this thread (or elsewhere?) that these features were *actually* coming I would not have been so close to making a mistake that would have made me *very* bitter. I know that companies don't like showing their hands too early, but personally I think this was a bit of a miss.

Message 127 of 135

Hi @QueensFlorist,

We really appreciate the detailed feedback around the launch of the Terminal.

I'm so sorry to hear that you had just bought a whole other system and this launched right after that. I can definitely understand how frustrating that must be. 

I'll let the Product team know that it'd be helpful to potentially give a heads up before hardware is launched. 

If you have any other feedback or questions, let me know. 

Ashley C
Message 128 of 135

Its all good. It worked out in the end (we found out about the terminal before we signed on elsewhere, thank goodness -- close call!)

Message 129 of 135

@QueensFlorist Thank goodness!

Thanks again for reaching out to us and sharing your experience.

We want to make sure we provide the best experience for our sellers so we make changes based off the feedback like this that we get. 

Ashley C
Message 130 of 135

Best Answer

Hi there, @WestsideYYC and @sqruserincanada! I hope this message finds you both well.

Wanted to reach out with some good news. I am happy to report that we're able to offer full Interac acceptance in Canada! This means that you can now accept chip and PIN payments using the Contactless & Chip Card reader or the Square Terminal. 👏More info on Debit & Pin availability is available here and you can visit our Support Centre to learn more accepting Interac debit cards cards

Thanks so much for your patience while we brought this feature to fruition! We appreciate you being a part of the Square Community. 

This post was updated in October 2020.

Joe
Message 131 of 135
Beta Member

NFC has been available from the launch, now chip and PIN are available even for the small BT terminal. I also have the larger terminal unit.

I like square as they accept pretty much every card on the planet. My bank likes the idea too,

Up here In Canada AMEX users are faced with many who cannot accept the card, Square does accept AMEX cards fine.

WIth better service the old banking cartel is realizing the world has changed. Square has done well with the small business and I respect Jack for establishing it.

Message 132 of 135

wat about debit using the traditional swipe reader for iphone?

Message 133 of 135

Hiw can I do to get interac in my square. I get last werk dobt do interax 

Message 134 of 135
Admin

Hi @Juanitamartinez thanks for your post. 

I'm not sure I fully understand your question. 

To accept Interac Debit cards on Point of Sale:

1. Add item(s) to the sale from the Point of Sale app, tap Charge.
  2. Ask your customer to tap their Interac Debit card or insert their card for transactions above $100. For inserted cards, they will be prompted to enter a PIN.
  3. Wait for card to authorize and payment to complete.

Does this help? If not please let me know 🙂 

Breffni
Community Moderator, Ireland, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question
Message 135 of 135