x

Does Square accept debit online?

I have Square connected with my BigCommerce store, and I am frequently having customers payments not going through.  I've found out that (at least sometimes) the trouble is that they are using a visa debit card.  I always have to direct them through PayPal for it to work.  I thought Square accepted debit cards, or does it only work if they swipe/tap the card?  Or is there something about having it connected through my BigCommerce store that makes it not work? It's frustrating to always have customers saying they can't pay!! Any insight or tips would be appreciated! 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Admin

Hi @tamalanae! That is very frustrating to have continually happen. Are you or your customers getting any type of error message when their payments aren't able to go through?

We do accept VISA debit card payments, so I'd love to get some more information from you to see if we can get to the bottom of this issue.

Thanks and I'll keep an eye out for a reply!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 2 of 4

@nika 

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately they aren’t given any message as to what kind of error it is. I have store logs I can look into on my end, but it doesn’t give any info there either, just says the card was declined. I’d appreciate any help you can give! Thank you! 

Message 3 of 4
Admin

No problem @tamalanae. Unfortunately there's not much we can see here through the Seller Community. So this might be a situation where it would be best to reach out to our Customer Success Team. They'll be able to take a look at your transactions and usually they can see why cards are getting declined.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 4 of 4